1x12 cabs, do they still sound pretty good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Jun 26, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've been looking for a small cab that might help me control some volume issues. My 4x12 is so loud it's crazy. Most of my gigs are in churches so volume reduction is a welcome aspect. What do you TGPers think? Will the 1x12 do a better job for keeping volume down?

2. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Well one will move less air than four, but you can also look into less efficient speakers and attenuators.

Plus there's usually a little knob some place that says "volume" that can be turned counter clockwise in a pinch ;)

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Snitch !! :p :D

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Hot Plate + 112 cab = livable tones and happy bandmates.

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I'm using a Roccaforte open-back 1X12 loaded with a Governor and couldn't be happier with my tone and volume.
    FWIW,
    Rick

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Egnater has a 1X12 that is slightly smaller than a 2X12 but sounds gigantic. Sweet too and no matter where you stand it projects. I love it.Has to be the best 1X12 cab I have run across yet.

7. MattB

MattB Member

I love my Bogner Cube...sounds incredible through everything.

$0.02

-MattB

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Personally I am conflicted about this.
    I think I'd rather have a 2x12 with a very good MV/attenuation/power scaling/wattage control.
    1x12 just wasn't quite cutting it for me in a cab. In a combo I'd go 1x12 cuz I can't carry much more!

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Score of the decade today. Mesa Theile ported 1x12 with EV for 100 bucks.

Oh yeah!!!!!!

They'll be less noticable, but perhaps the biggest, the band will "THINK" you are less loud.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Consider Greenbacks for a 1-12 or 2-12 - they're about the least efficient speakers you can find that sound good (or great...), so it's like having an attenuator down a click.

I like 1-12s, but I seem to be in a minority. I have a bunch, the Dr Z 1-12 is sweet, so are a pair of Ken's Cabs. All semi-open or open. Didn't like the close-back version of the Z.

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

I also like 1x12s, I've been using my semi-closed back Yamaha DG combo as a cab for various tube amps for years with great results. However, not all 1x12s are built equal, many tend to be a bit light in the bottom end. The DG combo is the only 1x12 that I've tried that has sounded as big and full.

I wouldn't go with a 1x12 purely for volume reduction though, attenuators are much better for that.

12. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i use 2 - 1x12 avatars. one has a weber michigan and the other has a red fang. for bigger stages and louder gigs both come out. for smaller gigs and open stages usually just one. pretty versatile rig. the avatars were $178 unloaded and shipped last time i bought one. very well made and they sound big. they are deeper than other 1x12's, maybe more like a (dare i say) bogner cube?

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Things like the Tone-Tools Fat Cat and Rivera TAC112 are amazing cabs that throw plenty of sound around - rival some 2x12s - sound great, as well as being portable.

14. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Stop it all-ready!

Bruce, if you can see this, trun on off your computer and get back to work!!

:cool:

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Actually, another thought. I played through Mike Roberto's (Tone Gurus) Bob Burt 1x12 with a Swamp Thang. F'n HUGE sounding!

16. kaseri

kaseri Member

+1 on the Bogner "Cube". Great sounding cab & easy to manage in both size & weight. Sounds HUGE as well. Bogner is really onto something with the "Cubes".

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

I have a Fender '65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb and I have been considering getting a 1x12 extension cab as well. A buddy of mine has several cabs with different speaker combos. I found that with my amp, gobernors are just the ticket. Me Fender gets the highs and the sparkle sound while the Gov adds warmth and bottom to my sound. It was like heaven.

If you have a bright-voiced amp like me the Gov may be a great option.

18. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

thanks man, my amp is a tad on the bright side. I may get a 1x12 from avatar.:)

19. Swarty

Swarty Member

I use a Mesa Recto sealed 1x12 (w/ SRO). Very full sound. It stays at church, as does the Marshall 20w that pushes it. I put the cab in front of me, tilt it back (on an old Hot Spot that hasn't seen any action in 10 years) so it pointed directly at my mug. I have a real hot guitar volume in a real small area...enough for endless sustain and controlled feedback and because the cab is so directional, it is very easy on the musicians around me. I used to use a Princeton Reverb, but so much sound comes out the back, that I can't get the lively volume I enjoy without those "looks" from my neighbors.

20. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

The Avatar 1x12 is a good cab at a great price. The Avatar is the boxy one under the Z28. Surprisingly it's not as big sounding as the smaller Z cab (I've tried a bunch of speakers in each), but it is a good buy nontheless. [​IMG][/IMG]