1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

1X12 cabs for Fuchs ODS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hendrix2430, May 20, 2005.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I'm going to order a 1X12 cab for a Fuchs ODS head in the near future, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some feedback on the following cabs' designs. I want the portability of a 1X12 (bogner cube size or slightly larger), and (as hard as that may be) the depth of a 2X12. If you owned/tried more than one of them, please compare! Thanks!

Bogner Cube
    Bogner Shiva Open Back 1X12
    CAE 1X12 (which I believe is basically the same as the Cube)
    /13 1X12
    Fuchs 1X12

I will order the cab from a european dealer, and I don't want to bother with ordering from the US (customs, delay, shipping, etc...), so I'm not considering cabs that I can't get from dealers in europe.

Thanks for the advice!

2. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Hendrix, send me your email address. I make a small 1x12 cab that seems to work really well and is light. I've got a couple of pics for you.

rleck@ikon.com

3. MattB

MattB Member

I recently picked up a Bogner Cube and man o man does it sound big! I currently have it paired with my Peter's Wolverine. Perfect match like they were made for eachother. I have run other amps through the cube and everything sounds fantastic. Very punchy tey airy, if that makes any sense.

Just my $0.02

-MattB

4. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Matt, what speaker type do you have in the cube? I have a 10 Watt Wolverine and have been playing mostly thru 2X12 cabs. I am starting to expeiment with a KT66 tube and thought about seeing what it may sound like with 1X12 cab. I just sent James an email this morning about this. I was gonna hook it up to my Shiva 1X12 combo this weekend to see how that sounds. I aslo wonder if the Shiva ported cab with 1X12 would be the same as cube. Maybe I'll check the Bogner site. Thanks

5. MattB

MattB Member

My cube has a celestion Vintage 30. It sounds awesome with the cube. Here is a PIC :)

[​IMG]

Absulutely killer lil'rig and portable :dude

6. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Thanks Matt, I thought it be a V30. I may get some of the same tone out the Shiva combo 1X12. I forget the type speaker it has.
    Just wondering how much power the 2X12's are pulling out of the 10 watt Wolverine vs 1X 12. I will find out this weekend. I bought the Wolverine to be my low wattage high gain thing. But I also love the tone at lower gain settings as well.

7. Boomer

Boomer Member

A V30 is not a good match for an ODS!

HTH

8. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I have a ODS 50. you are correct, 1 V30 probably wouldn't be the best choice for the Fuchs. I do however, have THD cab with V30 and Longhorn and that combination sounds killer with my Fuchs.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Cliff, the Vintage in the THD is a Vintage driver patterned after an Oxford. It has ZERO to do with the harsh Vintage 30 from Celestion. I have never ever heard a Vintage 30 with any D inspired amp sound at all attractive. Just my h.o.

Scott

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>A V30 is not a good match for an ODS!<<

In all honesty, Boomer, I ran a TR with a Bogner closed back 212 with V-30s for a while, and everyone said I'd hate the combination. I didn't. It recorded really well. It did indie style rock really well.

Granted, it did not give me those Robben Ford kinda tones (which I have never been trying to emulate), and it was REALLY bright. So I rolled off some treble.

And, yes, the TR cab was a better match. In fact...the TR 112 is a really cool cab, and might be worth trying with an ODS.

11. Boomer

Boomer Member

I have an intense dislike for the V30 in every amp I've ever tried them with, so I suppose my opinion is a bit biased. :) They make me think of geese honking ... something in the midrange.

Steve

12. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Don't think you could do better 'n the Fuchs 1-12" ported Fatback equipped cab--if you want more Celestion character, order it with the Emi-Wizard---Email Fuchs too. Jeff

13. aeolian

aeolian Member

You'll get a much more open and natural sound out of a slightly wider cab (22-24"). The Fuchs 1-12, TR 1-12, Mesa half back, will all work pretty darn well. For small gigs I use a pine cab I built that's roughly similar in size to the TR cab but has a floating baffle. One Tonker and it can really rip. I bring the 2-12 to larger gigs more for stage presence and because it throws better.