1X12 cabs for Fuchs ODS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hendrix2430, May 20, 2005.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I'm going to order a 1X12 cab for a Fuchs ODS head in the near future, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some feedback on the following cabs' designs. I want the portability of a 1X12 (bogner cube size or slightly larger), and (as hard as that may be) the depth of a 2X12. If you owned/tried more than one of them, please compare! Thanks!

Bogner Cube
    Bogner Shiva Open Back 1X12
    CAE 1X12 (which I believe is basically the same as the Cube)
    /13 1X12
    Fuchs 1X12

I will order the cab from a european dealer, and I don't want to bother with ordering from the US (customs, delay, shipping, etc...), so I'm not considering cabs that I can't get from dealers in europe.

Thanks for the advice!

2. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Hendrix, send me your email address. I make a small 1x12 cab that seems to work really well and is light. I've got a couple of pics for you.

rleck@ikon.com

3. MattB

MattB Member

I recently picked up a Bogner Cube and man o man does it sound big! I currently have it paired with my Peter's Wolverine. Perfect match like they were made for eachother. I have run other amps through the cube and everything sounds fantastic. Very punchy tey airy, if that makes any sense.

Just my $0.02

-MattB

4. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Matt, what speaker type do you have in the cube? I have a 10 Watt Wolverine and have been playing mostly thru 2X12 cabs. I am starting to expeiment with a KT66 tube and thought about seeing what it may sound like with 1X12 cab. I just sent James an email this morning about this. I was gonna hook it up to my Shiva 1X12 combo this weekend to see how that sounds. I aslo wonder if the Shiva ported cab with 1X12 would be the same as cube. Maybe I'll check the Bogner site. Thanks

5. MattB

MattB Member

My cube has a celestion Vintage 30. It sounds awesome with the cube. Here is a PIC :)

[​IMG]

Absulutely killer lil'rig and portable :dude

6. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Thanks Matt, I thought it be a V30. I may get some of the same tone out the Shiva combo 1X12. I forget the type speaker it has.
    Just wondering how much power the 2X12's are pulling out of the 10 watt Wolverine vs 1X 12. I will find out this weekend. I bought the Wolverine to be my low wattage high gain thing. But I also love the tone at lower gain settings as well.

7. Boomer

Boomer Member

A V30 is not a good match for an ODS!

HTH

8. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I have a ODS 50. you are correct, 1 V30 probably wouldn't be the best choice for the Fuchs. I do however, have THD cab with V30 and Longhorn and that combination sounds killer with my Fuchs.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Cliff, the Vintage in the THD is a Vintage driver patterned after an Oxford. It has ZERO to do with the harsh Vintage 30 from Celestion. I have never ever heard a Vintage 30 with any D inspired amp sound at all attractive. Just my h.o.

Scott

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>A V30 is not a good match for an ODS!<<

In all honesty, Boomer, I ran a TR with a Bogner closed back 212 with V-30s for a while, and everyone said I'd hate the combination. I didn't. It recorded really well. It did indie style rock really well.

Granted, it did not give me those Robben Ford kinda tones (which I have never been trying to emulate), and it was REALLY bright. So I rolled off some treble.

And, yes, the TR cab was a better match. In fact...the TR 112 is a really cool cab, and might be worth trying with an ODS.

11. Boomer

Boomer Member

I have an intense dislike for the V30 in every amp I've ever tried them with, so I suppose my opinion is a bit biased. :) They make me think of geese honking ... something in the midrange.

Steve

12. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Don't think you could do better 'n the Fuchs 1-12" ported Fatback equipped cab--if you want more Celestion character, order it with the Emi-Wizard---Email Fuchs too. Jeff

13. aeolian

aeolian Member

You'll get a much more open and natural sound out of a slightly wider cab (22-24"). The Fuchs 1-12, TR 1-12, Mesa half back, will all work pretty darn well. For small gigs I use a pine cab I built that's roughly similar in size to the TR cab but has a floating baffle. One Tonker and it can really rip. I bring the 2-12 to larger gigs more for stage presence and because it throws better.