1x12 cabs: Port City OS or Hermida Audio Ported?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm thinking a nice 1x12 cab would be a good compliment to my recent amp project, a rebuilt Sundown head using only the clean (Ampeg-like) channel.

ANyone have experiance with either/both the Port City OS 1x12 or the Hermida Audio Ported 1x12?

I'm looking for fat cleans and non-mushy OD for blues, classic rock, surf, kind of all around playing. The amp is a 2x6550 output unit, around 80-100w somewhere. I'm thinking maybe an EMI RW&B speaker or Weber California?

Here's the Hemida cab.

[​IMG]

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

My vote would be for the Wave OS 1x12; I've owned both the standard 2x12 and now have an OS 2x12 that I was trying out and the OS sounds huge.

3. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I have the hermida loaded w/ an EVM12L. I really like it. I was a little reluctant to use a ported cab as i"e always used semi-open backed cabs, but am very impressed, big sound.

Price is right, too

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

An even draw so far! :D

Maybe a dumb question, but does Hermida offer different covering options on their cabs? I didn't see any info on the site and didn't want to use that mail link to get on the waiting list just to ask a question.

5. portcitymusic

portcitymusic Supporting Member

Hello. I wanted to let you know that Port City does offer custom tolex covering. There is a slight upcharge but we have pretty much everything. Thanks.

Daniel
    Port City Amps

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Who was that masked man? [​IMG]

7. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

yes, they do. Call Alf hermida and he can fill you in.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Cool, thanks!

Any other comments on the sound differences between these two? Is one more open, more directional, fuller, etc, etc?

9. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I would like to learn more about the sonic differences too. Has someone had the chance to compare both? Ideally with the same type of speaker? The Hermida reminds me more of the 80th Mesa Boogie 1x12 Thiele speaker enclosure, while to Port City wave cab seems to be a more sophisticated design altogether.
    Rene

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Bump.

Anyone else?

11. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I own one of these custom covered cabs, and it is the best tolex job I have ever seen. I would go for Port City, based on my experiences in customer service and the overall tone of the cab's unique design... :dude

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

You might also want to consider a Pure 64 1x12. I had one on loan for a while and it sounded very very good.

13. pdouds

pdouds Member

i dunno about the hermida, but my pc cab sounds killer.

14. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

15. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

What Riff says! I have owned 2 Portcity cabinets and 2 Pure 64 cabinets and have played the Hermida cab next to the Pure 64. All are great cabinets, but whatever is going on with the Pure 64 cabinets is just plain better. I am not even talking about his amps, but playing several other amps through them with other speakers they just sing. Daniel at Port City is a great guy and builds a fine cabinet, and the Hermida cab was very nice as well. The 64 seems to have more punch and airyness around the note and great botom end. The Port City at times seem to have too much bottom at times, but over all sounded good. All cabinets are nice and compact and deliver the goods. If I could only own one for me it would be the Pure 64 1x12 cabinet.

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Haven't heard the Hermida, but did extensive side-by-side comparisons of a standard Port City 2x12 to an EarCandy Buzzbomb front-ported (looks very similar to the Hermida front-ported) and a Jenkins Highway 61 semi-open back. I liked the PC 2x12 with all speakers tried (Heritage G12-65, Scholz Sugarcone, British G12H-30) over the other two cabs by a pretty big margin.

The Buzzbomb was constricted and didn't come to life at all till it was really cranked up louder than I could use in most situations. But, even then, certain speakers just hated that cab and sounded buzzy in it, no lie, no pun intended! That experience alone would make me leery of tuned front-ported cabs. The Port City sounded open and airy like the Jenkins, but smoother and sweeter and without the mid-hump. It also accomplished the one main goal I had in getting a new cab - to prevent the bitching from bandmates about sound coming out the back of my cab and making the stage volume too loud! Lastly, Daniel at Port City is a total pleasure to work with!

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Personally, I don't like to run any cab on the floor because it makes the bottom end too boomy. The Port City is no exception. Get it up off the floor a few feet and the bottom end becomes totally balanced, really beautiful, IMO. I use an old adjustable Fender amp stand that is about the same width as the PC standard 2x12. Auralex makes some amp risers that might do the same thing, but I haven't tried them. In any case, I would try comparing these cabs with them all decoupled from the floor as much as possible. It might change your results!

18. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

Well, I have a port city 2x12 and a hermida ported 2x12 that I could use to do some comparing. I also have a hermida ported 1x12 and a pure 64 1x12, since someone mentioned that.

Might be a little while before I can get to some real comparing, though - the cabs all have different speakers in them now and work's been busy...

19. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

+1 Port city (never tried the other one)

I have two PC 1x12 OS and honestly, I have never heard better cabs. Huge, transparant (not boxy) and tight sound......I agree with Tina Turner......"Simply the best" ;)

Just my 2 cents...

20. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

The thing that amazes me is that Daniel achieved a tight sound that is also open and airy!