1x12 Combos Rock, Bring 'em on!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Jun 10, 2019.

1. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Bring 'em on! Lets see yours and stories.
    I own a few combos and today I pulled these two out, they are huge sounding, they offer tones that are un-believable in a small platform. I am a huge 4x12 guy, but when I find a 1x12 that rocks, I am in. I have a few that are awesome.

I bought the Jim Kelley Reverb Suhr brand new when Suhr was ending the build, I was lucky to get one. Then I played it without an attenuator and it was fine but I needed that attenuator, and when Suhr did one more build run, I got in. The JK with the attenuator is the key and the bomb.

The KR12 is magical as well, Lou builds killer amps. This one has a ss rect and am planning to go to a tube rect later.

Post your 1x12 combos and lets see and chat.

[​IMG]

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

^ Nice.

I thought I was done with combos, but a local tgp member was selling this Redplate Blackloop and there was enough room in the price to buy a head shell. I ended up liking it so much that I am keeping it as-is ... except, now loaded with a Scumnico.

[​IMG]

3. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

[​IMG]

Genz Benz Black Pearl 30.

Great loud rock amp.

[​IMG]

And the medium sized one here is an AD15.
    Again great rock amp. 15w is plenty enough for most situation too.
    Actually more practical than the 5w AD5 (10" combo) next to it thanks its excellent master volume.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    ripple, mdrake34, Laurence and 5 others like this.
  4. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Of course I can't post pics from work. Had a Rivera R30 which got me hooked on Rivera's. Also had a M60 combo. The cleans on both were amazing! And they took pedals like a champ.

ducker 1 likes this.
  5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Most of mine don't meet TGP's standards but I think they are awesome. Two Blackstars, one Boss Nextone, and the one that comes closest to TGP approval is a Marshall Dsl20 but after getting the Blackstars it's gathering dust.

6. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

7. mikeller

mikeller Member

I have a Supersonic (60 watt) 1x12, and just bought a Mesa/Boogie Fillmore 25 combo and like them both a lot!!!

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

5cr33nager, ripple, Luke V and 7 others like this.
  9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Here's my 60th Anniversary AC15:

This is the 1x12 I use most. It has some great driven tones, especially from the EF86 channel.

Next up is the Marshall Astoria Dual:

It travels the middle ground between the Astoria Classic (squeaky-clean) and Astoria Custom (a bit like a hot-rodded JMP) tones.

Lastly, I have a AC4HW1. It's a handwired VOX AC4. It's great when you want to just dime an amp, though there's not much headroom at all. I particularly like it for leads.

ripple, wntbtw and Page of Cups like this.
  10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

PBGas, mdrake34, Tunesketcher and 4 others like this.
  11. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Yeah me too, I never thought that way, I now have a bunch in my collection and have grown to appreciate them, I mean okay Mesa King Snake and MK1 were always there for me as exceptions, but you add others as well and the whole 1x12 space suddenly looks wonderful, it’s a whole thing in itself, and these days with folk looking to go light weight, it is on top.

Tunesketcher and jujube like this.
  12. derekirving

derekirving Supporting Member

13. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

I have a Clark Beaufort :wave

SkydogFan81 and TonyBony like this.
  14. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary
    Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube
    Blackstar HT Studio 20

ripple likes this.
  15. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

This is as close to a combo as I get. 20” wide heads and 112 cabs.

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dr. Z RxES 1x12 combo on the left. 45 watts; EL84 back end. Bitchin' 1x12. This specific amp was originally built for Tracii Guns and the Good Dr. gave it a thorough "once-over" himself a couple years ago. I have it teamed at that rehearsal in an A/B rig with the prototype TopHat 1x12 Emplexador Junior High Gainer. They are both taking a break at band rehearsal, and hanging with my one-off Danocaster:
    [​IMG]

Here's a clearer photo:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Emplex Junior High Gainer hanging with my TopHat one-off KTR39, which is based heavily on a Brown Deluxe. However, it is the very first TopHat with a built-in Variac. I have the amp loaded with a matched pair of 1943 RCA gray glass 6V6GT power tubes. The KTR can also take 6L6 and EL34 power tubes. The amps are relaxing with my pre-lawsuit Lentz 2TSB S-type in museum condish (unobtanium):
    [​IMG]

Another shot, alone with my McInturff Carolina:
    [​IMG]

Of course, the amps always look better on stage - where they were meant to be. Both amps are screamers - and the KTR is just killin' when used live. This time the A/B rig is joined by my 3TSB Lentz S-Type:
    [​IMG]

Or how about the second-ever-built TopHat 1x12 Emplexador Junior Classic. 50w of EL34 back-end teamed with a front end that ranges from '68 small box tones to JTM45, based on how you engage the toggles and how you eq the amp:
    [​IMG]

Again, it looks much better on stage where it belongs:
    [​IMG]

And here is the only Mesa amp I've ever dug - the 1x12 Maverick combo. Great cleans. Some folks call it "the poor man's D*mble. I call it a two channel Mesa that is easy to dial in and gets some nice tones:
    [​IMG]

Damn - here it is on stage (go figure):
    [​IMG]

I could write a page or two about each amp - how I use it, favorite NOS tubes, favorite tones, etc. Sorry for some of the stage pics that are not real clear.

RAG7890, ripple, buddaman71 and 14 others like this.
  17. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Wow, would love to get a Jim Kelley combo or try a king snake.
    One of the most stout and just all around stellar 1x12 combos I have had is the Savage Rohr. You can get pretty much any savage in a 1x12 but, and the weight will kill you, but it's a great sounding amp.

18. gearlovin

gearlovin Silver Supporting Member

I've kept 3 1x12 combo
    They are all amazing at what they do.

1- PWE Event Horizon 2. Amazing rock and roll machine.

2- Bruno Cowtipper 45. Best blackface and reverb I know of.

3- Lazy J20 crazy how huge it sound for the size and weight. Amazing tweed with verb and trem.

19. steam boat

steam boat Supporting Member

I just picked up a 1964 blackface deluxe on a trade. Ho-ly sh!t. Straight magic with a strat.

20. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member