• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

1x12 Combos Rock, Bring 'Em On

Jabby92

Love my Mach 2:

I guess this is technically a 2x12 here since I have the cab hooked up, but I've used it as a 1x12 many times and still do depending on the sound I want. Amazing amp and very light.

Yam the BOMB

Platinum Supporting Member
62.8 Lbs, I just weighed it, that combo is Heavy, I work out in the gym daily and I tell ya it’s not an easy lift and go...
Just start working out with some 62.8 lbs. dumbbells and she will feel like a piece of cake.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Just start working out with some 62.8 lbs. dumbbells and she will feel like a piece of cake.
I would need 100 lbs dumbbells to make the 62 lbs amp feel light, I mean I move it around but I would not enjoy carrying it to my car and up stairs to a gig regularly...
The thing is to get these huge tones, I find the 1x12 are built on the heavy side, that’s the trade off.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Now that is one dream stereo rig.
It gets even better and sweeter when I add next to it my King Snake, my Marshall 1974x, Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb, Deltone, Tone Kings, AC1560th Vox, yeah these 1x12 combos have taken over my life....

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Vintage Sound 22sc in a custom 1x12 with an Alessandro and all NOS tubes.

I sold the JTM45 chassis in this but kept the cab to mount my 50w plexi with Merren iron and all NOS tubes, (xf2 Mullards). 75w creamback.

And the star of the show, Muleskinner 17w. Tweed Deluxe with some normal improvements and some not so normal. WGS reaper in an oversized Mather Super cab. You guessed it...NOS tubes.

Last edited:

mikebat

They sound great! Until you plug in a 2x12 combo, or a head with a nice 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12. Then..... you think....wow, that 1x12 combo sounds like a tiny cardboard box

rickt

Tungsten Buckwheat"

Here are a few. From left to right:
Reeves Custom 12 PS, Echopark Vibramatic 13, Echopark Clarence, Samamp VSC 12, Louis Electric Columbia Reverb, Louis Electric Road Runner, Glaswerks Zingaro 25.

Not pictured: Reeves HG10, Swart AST, JCA Circuits GR 1.6, and a Louis Electric Tornado

Last edited:

orogeny

I would need 100 lbs dumbbells to make the 62 lbs amp feel light, I mean I move it around but I would not enjoy carrying it to my car and up stairs to a gig regularly...
The thing is to get these huge tones, I find the 1x12 are built on the heavy side, that’s the trade off.
Nope. Alessandro Rottweiler. Little more than I blues junior inweight. I had Jim Somma of Sommatone mod the verb and put in a long tank on the floor. That was over ten years ago. I haven't had amp gas since. Haven't bought a thing.

ripple

To keep fresh, keep capped & cold.
I love 1x12 combos... here are my current holdings:

Allen Sweet Spot I built last year. It's become my #1 amp for most all gigs, and is a great grab & go rig. Runs 6V6s at 18watts or 6L6s for 25 watts. Sweet tremolo and reverb, but the Raw control is the secret sauce. Helps solos cut straight through the mix. The Malibu:

Here's a Mission 5E3 kit I built a few years ago; great little amp. It has a Celestion G12H30 in it, which makes it a screamer. Big sound in a small package.
The Comet:

Here's my 1975 SF Deluxe Reverb. Cannibus Rex 12" speaker installed. Excellent shape for a 44 year old amp. Purchased from Chicago Music Exchange about 6 years ago for $900. She stays home mostly, as the Allen Sweet Spot has taken her place for live work.

Oh, and I almost forgot... my very first amp. 1979 Pignose 30/60 ss 1x12 combo. I've kept it since I was 14 because I'm a sentimental fool, but the Pig can still rock with a Celestion Classic Lead 80 installed:

Last edited:

stratotastic

I currently don't own any 1x12s, but did for years. My favorite was the Mesa Mark V. I had a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo with a closed back for a while, but came to realize the concept was kind of dumb--it didn't add anything over an open 1x12 except for weight.

Overall I like 1x12s for their portability, but always felt it was a trade-off vs the sound. I much prefer 2x12s or 4x10s. Of course 4x12s are king, but a PITA to store and lug around.

Trending Topics