• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

1x12, el84, "back friendly" combo alternatives to Vox AC30 for gigs?

swing308

One thing I hadn't fully considered is that the tubes that came with my YGL2 apparently leave a lot to be desired. Looking at some YGL2 owner reviews seems to confirm this. I think I'll try & track down a set of JJ's before spending money on something new. The YGL2 certainly seems, on paper at least, (1x12, 30watts, 45lbs, cathode based) to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

jayn

I used an AC30HH with one Gold. Dirt from pedals. EF86 channel was epic. But, I've moved to AC15 type amps. With the 30, it was *barely* on and everyone was telling me to turn down...sigh.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Goodsell Super 17.
Classic Vox design. Tone richer than a boutique milkshake.
The best amp tremolo on the market (IMHO)

And Richard can probably make a combo for you at around 29 pounds.
Might need to stretch the budget a bit, but it is worth it by a mile.
I've owned three Super 17 amps and one Custom 33. In fact, his Super 17 Express came about because I asked him to build me a blue S17 without reverb or trem with a black faceplate and cream barrel knobs. He had to get the faceplate custom made but gladly did and built me a beautiful amp which he christened the "Super Seventeen Express." I loved that amp.

Now, having said all that, imho the OP will be disappointed if he buys a Super 17 thinking he's getting a Vox clone, especially thinking it would be a lighter slightly quieter version of an AC30. The Goodsell's a fantastic amp, but it's not a loud amp and it's not overly Voxy imho.

liquidpick

The Laney VC30 30 watt class A/B loads of headroom 1x12 but over 20 pounds lighter than a VOX AC30 - I have one and they sound great plus a good price!

Dr. Lo

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking you can't easily get a combo amp in the twin el84 variety that will weigh less than 45 lbs. My suggestion is to get a smallish head and a 1x12 cab. For example, try finding a used AC15 Heritage head.

guitarman3001

I'm thinking you can't easily get a combo amp in the twin el84 variety that will weigh less than 45 lbs. My suggestion is to get a smallish head and a 1x12 cab. For example, try finding a used AC15 Heritage head.
Mesa ROV25 combo - 41 pounds.

markstullkc

I know you said el84, but you should look at 65 amps Ventura combo. 36 pounds! 6V6, but sounds awesome.

crackbass

I'm inclined to agree with the Laney VC-30 suggestion. It's a pretty awesome amp for relatively cheap. And it's not to heavy.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The Traynor Guitarmate is a great sounding amp, sort of straddling the border between Deluxe Reverb and AC15. The way to push it one way or the other is tubes and speaker. With a Blue or a Fane A30 it would be plenty loud, throw in some Mullard or even 6P14P output tubes and it'll cross over into more voxy territory. It isn't light, though. Since it's a $500 amp, though, even with tube and speaker changes you'll have enough cash left under your cap to turn it into a head and cabinet combo...

I'd love to suggest Alessandro, his stuff is amazingly loud and light! But I don't think you can land one in your price range.

Kylote

My AC15 is plenty loud... I pretty much permanently run it through a hot plate to keep the volume manageable.

uitar99

mesa 5:25 express plus, should be able to get one used for your budget.

Light

loud

versatile

Trending Topics