1x12 for vintage-style Marshall amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buellwisner, Jun 22, 2008.

1. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

Strange question for everyone:

I usually play through a DRRI or a Vibrolux reverb, which is just about perfect, volume-wise, for keeping up with the rest of my band (I'm the only guitar player) and for really "breathing" at small-club levels. I've grown to dislike the two-dimensional quality of single-note leads on these two amps. That's a major problem because I like to play Allman Bros. and Blind Faith-style leads. I can get a little bit more singing quality and texture from ts-type pedals, but I also increasingly dislike the "unnatural" response I get from them.

Long story short, I want to try a vintage-style Marshall or clone, but I want to steer clear of the big cabinet/head configuration. Is there any 1x12 configuration that can handle up to 50 watts (1987-style circuit)? Particularly, I'm wondering which speakers are right for the job. Marshall made some JMP 1x12 combos, and I think they used Celestion Classic Lead 80s.

Germino makes a combo that (I think) uses the 65-watt Celestion Heritage speakers. What does everybody recommend as far as High Powered speakers that can be used in either a JTM45 clone or 1986/87 circuit clones? The afore-mentioned Celestions? 65 watt Scumbacks or Scumnicos? A JBL-clone for Dickie Betts tones? Thoughts?

The two main reasons I'd like a 1x12 are cost and portability. I'd rather hear how folks have fared with this rather than blank statements such as "get a 4x12." Thanks!

2. JimH

JimH Member

Well I'm in a semi similar situation - I use a 1x12" with a 20W plexi. My advice is open the back off the cab if possible. I use a greenback - but that wouldn't handle a 50W head. I'm not 100% sure what I'd use in your position as I like greenbacks and g12h. - I'd also consider a 2x10" with the new 10" greenbacks. No use for you though. er... I also had a 1936 2x12 with those 75W celestions in there - G12T75s - pretty good actually, but not the vintage vibe that I prefer.

3. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

marshall 4010 and an od/boost pedal.

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I'd say a G12H30 (I like the 70th Anniversary model) or an Eminence Wizard (their clne of the Celestion G12H30). Or maybe a G12H65 for more power handling. These pair well with Marshall-style amps.

I like 1X12 because it reduces the SPL you are putting out. A lot of guys haul 4X12s and then ask how to tame volume. Getting rid of 3 speakers helps a LOT!

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I used to run my Ceriatone JTM45 in a Weber 1x12 combo cab. Tried a couple of speakers in there, two I like best were Emi GB1216, very nice greenback style speaker. Gets the typical Marshall crunch beautifully, handles 50 watts.

Second for clear/clean tones was a Celestion V12-80 Silver Series. Supposed to be a cheap speaker but had great round bottom and clear mids and trebles. Didn't like the crunch sounds as much as the Emi, but for the cleans it was great. 80 watts, of course.

6. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

try the new Vox handwired 15 watt combo. They can get Marshally and they are pretty reasonable in price!

JasonElGato likes this.
  7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I use a Marshall Artist 4203 30 watter 1-12 celestion that cuts nice w/channel switching if you can find one. Traynor makes some real nice combos of various wattage with channel switching that have great tonality. The other option with your Fenders , try a tube OD pedal to fatten it up for solos like a Tube Driver or something similar would be cheaper.

8. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

I actually got the idea of building a 1x12 Marshall clone from the 4010. I'll most likely go with a clone or reissue of the 1987 circuit as the amp.

What speaker did the 4010 use, and would it fit the older circuit and be acceptable for more vintage (lower gain) tones?

Anyone use the Germino 1x12 Lead 55LV? Should I just save my money for a new one of those? Money is definitely an object.

I don't much like od pedals with Les Pauls, or I'd stick with the Fenders. All the ts-type pedals I've used sound unnatural with the bridge pickup.

9. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

That's one of my hoped-for by-products.

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and keep 'em coming!

Anything on the newer Celestion Heritage G12-65?

10. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

[
    Anyone use the Germino 1x12 Lead 55LV? Should I just save my money for a new one of those? Money is definitely an object.

I don't much like od pedals with Les Pauls, or I'd stick with the Fenders. All the ts-type pedals I've used sound unnatural with the bridge pickup.[/quote]

I use a Club 40 with a Scumback M75HP in a 1x12 Germino cab. The LV55 will work in that configuration as well.

11. buellwisner

buellwisner Member

I use a Club 40 with a Scumback M75HP in a 1x12 Germino cab. The LV55 will work in that configuration as well.[/quote]

Would you recommend it?

12. Soulman

Soulman Member

I use a Ceriatone 1987 50W Lead clone head with a 1x12 cab. I've got a 60W Celestion V30 in the cabinet and it sounds and performs just fine. I do a lot of small clubs with this setup.

13. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Get a Custom Audio Amplifiers 1-12" or a Bogner Cube, load it with a Vintage 30 or a Celestion Alnico Gold.

TheGrooveking

14. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Watch the 18 watt cabinet size (9" depth)...it has issues IMO.
    Mine does not do bass as well as some other 1-12" cabinets that are 10-10 1/2" deep. A slightly deeper cabinet will make a big difference regardless of what speaker you use

15. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Germino Club 40 1x12 with a G12-65. Just kills for ABB tones! My favorite amp.

16. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I'm using a 65 watt Scumback with my 50 watt plexi. Sounds very fine.

17. Category 5

Category 5 Member

We use a jenson neo(100 watt 16 ohm) with our 50 watt jtm45/jtm50 type amp and it sounds big and open. It's also very light and not that much $$.

Works great for the open back cab 1 x 12 combo thing.

DonR

18. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

Would you recommend it?[/quote]

The LV55 has a touch more gain than the Club 40, so it seems to start breaking up a little sooner, from what I remember. The nice thing about both these amps is you can experiment with many power tube types with a rebias. Greg can give you some info.

19. gregc

gregc Member

Celestions Classic 80 is my fav speaker for 1x12 higher powered amps. I like it in the Shiva sized/closed back/front ported Bogner cab especially. You can sit most full sized heads on it. It has good bottom. It punches. You may or not want punch.......

20. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

With my 20 watt 2061x, I use either an Avatar Vintage G112 open back cab loaded with a Rola G12-65, or an 80's Marshall 1966a 2x12 closed back cab with a Celestion Heritage G12M greenback and a Rola G12-65. Both cabs sound great with the 20watter.