• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

1x12 or 2x10?

Ryan

I'm stuck. I almost pulled the trigger on a Carmen Ghia head with a Dr. Z convertible 2x10, but then I found a 1x12 combo for about the same money. THEN I found a 2x10 combo for about the same money again. So now I'm really stuck. The head/cab would be good for church, since we run the amps off stage, but I could just as easily put the combo back there, albeit without being able to tweak the knobs. The combo would be easier to lug around, too... Gah, what should I do, TGP?? :BOUNCE

losangeles33

Silver Supporting Member
I just purchased a Dr Z. head and am going to buy (today) a 2x10 cab. Having a head vs. a combo is a huge advantage to me.

Madison

I've had all cabinet configs, it's personal taste. But if it helps you, I easily prefer 1x12 over anything.

Ryan

Yeah, I'm thinking now I'll do the 1x12 combo. It just makes the most sense for what I need.

stevemcm

You should check out this thread that's already covered this topic.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-223102.html

Conventional wisdom on that thread is that the 1x12 will have more bass but less volume than the 2x10 (all else being equal, which is rarely the case).

Also, consider some great advice I read from Mark Sampson of Matchless fame. I paraphrase ... "When evaluating an amp (or cabinet), listen to it in the context of the full band you'll be playing in and hear how it records with a Shure SM-57." In other words, don't be fooled by how an amp/cabinet sounds on its own, what matters is how it sounds in the context you'll be using it.

Trending Topics