1x12 recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I'm looking to downsize my rig a bit from two heads/two 2x12 cabs, to one head running into two 1x12 cabinets. I originally wanted something made of solid pine since that is what I have preferred in the past, but I'm open to trying something made of ply. I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on solid vs ply cabs as well.

I am going to go with 2 different cabs, along with 2 different speakers, one cab/speaker optimized for smooth, mid heavy single note overdriven lead tones played with a les paul, and one for open, chimey clean tones played with a strat.

I'm curious what people's experience has been with the following cabs - would also be helpful to know what types of tones you find the cabs/speakers best suited for.

Two-Rock
    Glaswerks
    Limited Resistence Sinewave
    Hermida (might not be deep enough)
    Port City Wave
    Pure 64
    Southbay
    Tone Tubby

Anything else I should look into?

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

If the Hermida is on your list, shouldn't the Bogner Cube be as well? I don't know much about either cab, but they seem pretty similar from what little I've seen.

I'll be interested to see what this thread brings up. Thanks for asking the question!

Crikey

3. tguyfr

tguyfr Member

I just bought a closed back Fuchs 1x12 loaded with a G12H30 to play with my Bruno's. Excellent cab (solid pine), almost not directionnal, but sounds a tad boxy on clean sound, especially with the UG22. As you, I plan to add a second open back cab (probably a Burt) to expand the sound. Excellent alone on the overdrive, especially with the UG30.

4. pharmx

pharmx Member

I'd suggest StoneAge Custom Cabinets as a possible choice as well. As far as speaker suggestions go, which amp are you looking to run through these cabs?

5. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I love my Jenkins, its huge and airy and open sounding. Google Jenkins cabs to find him, I think Doug is still building.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

for open 3-D chimey tones I would go with a Tone King 1x12.

7. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Google Avatar Speakers and have a party.
    Dave (owner) has many speaker/cab options and great prices/delivery.
    You will not go wrong. He also gets stellar reviews on Harmony Central.

8. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

Daedalus makes a 1x12 ported (S-112P), solid wood cab.

9. Dave

Dave Member

I haven't tried all the cabs on your list, but the CAA 1x12 is the best 1x12 I've ever had. It's the same as the Bogner cube, but can usually be had for less money. I recently picked up a used one in mint condition loaded with a Weber Blue Dog for $250.

10. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I just went to a ScumBack H55 in a DRRI.The tone was tightened,more focused,and seemed more responsive in over all tone...Added some mids-low mids too. I like it very much.

11. Dave L

Dave L Member

I have to second Dave and recommend the CAA... it´s the best 1x12" I´ve tried. But, to be honest, I haven´t tried all the other suggestions above.

12. wasp

wasp Member

is the badger 1x12 cab the same as the caa 1x12, or made different?

13. Dave

Dave Member

It's different. Similar construction/design, but larger. Never heard one, but it's getting good reviews.

14. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

I really like my Avatar 1x12 (with a Hellatone 30W speaker in it). Using it as an extension cab for a TopHat Club Deluxe, with a Tone Tuby ceramic in it. Great clean and mean sounds.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

I ended up with a tone tubby 1x12 loaded with an alnico hemp cone. Amazing tone - I have the tone tubby 2x12 with ceramics right next to it, and it holds it own easily.

I also have a Glaswerks oversized 1x12 coming...will report back when it arrives.

16. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Another big fan of the ceramic Tone Tubby. Better than I expected. Wow!!