1x12 Speaker Recommendation for Small Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SLG, Jan 30, 2008.

1. SLG

SLG Member

I have one of the Siegmund Midnight Special amps (single-ended, 5~10 watts). I'm interested in trying a couple of different 12 inch replacement speakers. The amp originally came with a Celestion Blue, but didn't have quite enough bottom end and warmth. I realize the cabinet is small, and that limits the bass and projection. I currently have an Eminence Swamp Thing installed. It's a nice efficient speaker and gives the amp some added volume, but it has a bit too much of a mid-range peak for my applications. Any recommendations? I primarily play Strats and Teles, and the occasional P90 or low gain humbucker. Most of the time I play clean or with just a touch of break-up. No metal or high gain stuff.

2. coxswain

coxswain Member

I would check out the Suhr Badger Cab!

3. coxswain

coxswain Member

I"ll give you a little more info on it.

The amp was designed around the Suhr Badger which has power scaling that allows one to go from a half a watt to 18 watts. It comes loaded with a Vintage 30 speaker and is not a terribly huge cab. It costs 525 loaded. Here is a link............... http://www.suhrguitars.com/badger.aspx

Chase

4. SLG

SLG Member

Thanks, but I'm just looking to replace the speaker itself in the combo.

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Sounds like a Celestion g12H30 to me. You can get one pre broken in from Avatar Speakers. They are called Hellatone30's.

You could also contact Ted Weber at Weber Speakers and see what he recommends. You just tell him what you are looking for, and I bet he can come up with a speaker just for you.

Good luck.

dk