1x12 vs 2x12 vs 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elegend, Mar 19, 2008.

1. elegend

elegend Member

what's the difference between cab sizes? can i run a high wattage amp through a 1x12?

2. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

the usual stigmata is that the bigger the cab the bigger the sound. there is alot of hype that 1x12 cabs can sound as big as 2x12's and 2x12's as big as 4x12's but in my experience there is no substitute for the real thing. also construction, thickness of wood, depth, open back/closed back, etc... all play parts in the scheme of things.

depending on the amp and speaker you can run a 1x12 with anything. i know alot of guys playing tr's and other 100 watt amps use the ev speakers in a 1x12 and love them.

Jordan

3. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

+1 right on the money opinion.

4. JimH

JimH Member

Also a phyisically big 1x12 can sound very big indeed. - ie a big box. check out ported cabs etc.

5. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Yes....it's no problem to use a 1x12 with a high wattage amp. You have to be aware of what wattage the amp has and the speaker in the cab, but I know many people who do that.....and I'll do it pretty soon myself.

I have 1x2 OS from port city and another one on the way ;)

6. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

yea more speakers more open sounding hehe

7. Miles

Miles Member

There are differences and it depends on what you like and what you mind carrying around.

There was a time where I would use a 4x12, but as we started playing larger rooms w/ better PAs, a 4x12 became a moot point. I started learning about good stage volume vs. how much of your sound makes it into the mains and thus, the PA to the audience. The disadvantage of using a 4x12, or at least the players that are stereotypical users, is that they turn up really loud, which is nice for them, but then, they don't get into the mains so much because they are already running too loud. Unfortunately, a lot of players do not realize that a 4x12 is not really designed to project to an audience that well, and after 15-20 feet in a larger hall, they sound like a pignose amp anyways. The PA is designed to project and deliver optimum sound to the audience. If you have too much stage volume, you barely get into the PA mix and while you're rocking away with your stage volume, the audiences ears probably aren't liking how you sound.

So, after this became a realization, I started using lower wattage amps that I liked the voicing of through 1x12 or 2x12 configurations. This way, I have more than enough stage volume and I get into the mix and on live recordings in a huge way. This way, your tone breathes and you're not running so high that you're clipping the mic signal too. Why do you think so many live recordings are all drums and vocals with ambient, distant bass? Because us string players love our sound but it becomes the destruction of our live tone to everyone else.

Some people use a 4x12 very tastefully though. I often see this in the form of a lower wattage amp dialed into a 4x12 washing the stage from the side eliminating audience heard harshness.

I am biased at this point, and no 2x12 'sounds' like a 4x12 as much as I've tried to experiment. However, I prefer that up front throaty punch of a smaller open back cab with rich speakers with its ass generously kicked by the power section. This is where my favorite kinds of tone live no matter what amp or method (with or without pedals) I am using.

Miles

8. freaksho

freaksho Member

in general,

boxy > bassier > bassiest

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

on the second question, that depends on the speaker, not so much the cab. how many watts is the amp? an EV will take 200 watts, a scholz 100 watts, a tonker 150 watts, etc.

as for the tone difference, people have chimed in on that. in my experience, a 4x12 has the most thump and has the most "open" sound. when you get down to a 1x12 i find the cab dimensions play a significant role - bigger box tends to create a fuller sound. two-rock makes some nice 1x12s that have a very big sound.

10. elegend

elegend Member

i was thinking about running an orange ad30/rocker30 through an orange 60w 1x12 cab..that should be doable right?

11. Miles

Miles Member

Yes, no danger of blowing anything there. 30w into a 60w speaker and you could dime the thing and be totally fine.

12. elegend

elegend Member

how would you describe a 2x12 compared to a 1x12..will the sound be just fuller or will it be much louder as well?

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Depends how loud you turn up your amp, how efficient your speakers are and how close they are to their maximum output. All else being the same, a 2 x 12 may have a little more bass and may sound a bit fuller. I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

14. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

IMO, the loudness is more a function of the speaker efficiency rather than the number of speakers. Eg, a Scholz in a 1x12 is much louder than my 2x12 with G12-65s. that said, at some point the number of speakers will play a role. if you are hitting the max wattage of the 1x12, then if you put two of those speakers in a 2x12 you will be able to handle more wattage and create more headroom and volume.

A 2x12 might be a little more "full" but that also depends largely on the cab design and dimensions.