1x12 vs 2x12

Gas Hed

Trying to convince myself that I'm fine with a 1x12. I've got both 1x12 and 2x12 and I am only using my 1x12. But here's why - I can easily put it on a cabinet stand and tilt it towards my my ears. Sounds superior to the 2x12 because of that. A somewhat intangible reason but some of you will understand. Not to mention the 1x12 is easier to lug around. For a long time I only used the 2x12 - definitely sounds different than the 1x12, call it more airy and filling, but not sure it is enough to dethrone my 1x12. Curious what your thoughts are TGPers.

PremiumPlus

I went to 1x12 combos years ago. I've got a couple of great 2x12 cabs loaded with Celestion Golds and G12H30/V30 speakers, but I just prefer the 1x12 sound. I'm usually mic'd anyway so volume wise it doesn't matter.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to convince myself that I'm fine with a 1x12. I've got both 1x12 and 2x12 and I am only using my 1x12. But here's why - I can easily put it on a cabinet stand and tilt it towards my my ears. Sounds superior to the 2x12 because of that. A somewhat intangible reason but some of you will understand. Not to mention the 1x12 is easier to lug around. For a long time I only used the 2x12 - definitely sounds different than the 1x12, call it more airy and filling, but not sure it is enough to dethrone my 1x12. Curious what your thoughts are TGPers.
i get lots of mileage out of a 2-12 wired d/13 style, speakers wired to independent jacks. using one speaker sounds better in the bigger box, with two different speakers, there’s different flavors on tap, stand it on end or not, i made a parallel speaker cable to run both speakers into one input. very versatile setup.

Reactions: huw

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
Mojotone British vertical 2X12 has taken over as my main cab, I have it loaded with M-65 Creambacks (for the moment anyway) and it throws much better than my Jcm 800 2X12 or my mesa recto 2X12. I love the sound of all 3 cabs but when we're rehearsing (I haven't had the chance to use it at a gig yet) everyone says they can hear me much better with that cab. It's light and easy to carry around. I'm actually picking up a marshall 1966B on Tuesday which is even smaller, interested to see how that one works.

tonegangster

Gold Supporting Member
I tried the 1X12 thing and it just didn't work for me. I settled on a compact Germino 2X12 and found what I was looking for. Smaller and lighter than my Bogner 2X12 and sounds great! Good luck!

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I like 1x12s for anything big and/or airy, but if you're playing Marshally higher gain bridge humbucker type music, even a high quality oversized sealed 1x12 can sound a little lonely. Of course, stacking two 1x12s is a great option.

Badside

Mojotone British vertical 2X12 has taken over as my main cab, I have it loaded with M-65 Creambacks (for the moment anyway) and it throws much better than my Jcm 800 2X12 or my mesa recto 2X12. I love the sound of all 3 cabs but when we're rehearsing (I haven't had the chance to use it at a gig yet) everyone says they can hear me much better with that cab. It's light and easy to carry around. I'm actually picking up a marshall 1966B on Tuesday which is even smaller, interested to see how that one works.

I got a vertical 212 with M65 Creambacks too and holy s... I loooove this cab, punches me in the back.

One of the speakers was previously in a 112... Sorry, not going back!

Kent

One of the advantages of using a 1x12 is you’re attenuating the volume some compared the the 2x12, plus I like getting the speaker moving/pushed more.
Of course it all depends on the environment. Sometimes you just need a bigger cab.

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member
I am having the same dilemma. I plan on attenuating my SV20H anyway so I'm not sure how much sense it makes to use a 2x12.

Also the matching Marshall 1x is an open back vs. the closed back 2x.... So that's got me waffling as well. I always preferred a closed back.

For years I rocked a 410 combo for everything. A decade of dragging that unwieldy beast everywhere, but it was my only gig worthy amp and I never ever worried about having enough amp.

Two years ago I went with a Mesa 112 combo. More portable, more efficient speaker, so louder, if you can believe it, and two fully independent channels, so I could ditch some drive pedals as well.

This year—no real gigs—but I went with an SS head and 112 Guitar Cabinets Direct closed-back cab.

All that to say, portability is my thing. The amp is my personal monitor, so as long as I can hear myself, it’s doing its job. I don’t foresee anymore outdoor gigs without PA (yuck!), so I don’t need heavy artillery anymore.

Which is a boon, because heavy artillery is heavy.

jchan

A 2x12 is my preference over a 1x12. The speaker interaction in a 2x12 is what I like. I am currently using a bogner alchemist 2x12 with a scumback M75 and J75 combo and it sounds terrific. The M75 excels at rock tunes and the J75 does a little better at cleaner type music without excess bass response. The diagonal cab config seems to be the perfect balance of size and projection. A 1x12 cab is great for convenience and transport but a 2x12 allows for a nice blending of speakers to help craft your sound and musical preference. Plus, you get the added benefit of speaker wattage, if needed.

Fulldrive-1

One 12 works fine with Fender amps, but I think Marshalls sound better with two 12s.

But two 4x12 is even better!

Reactions: SDR

el greco

I've experimented with many types of cabs. My favourite with a powerful valve amp is a vertical 212 with the two speakers placed diagonally.
I like the tones of two different speakers blended together in one enclosure. At the moment I'm using an Eminence Texas Heat 12" with a Peavey Scorpion Ultra 12".
With smaller valve amps up to 15W, I prefer a 112 cab.

LaXu

Vertical 2x12 is the way to go.

I use a 1x12 piled on top of a 4x10. Both great and both lightweight.

j_el_jee

Why does nobody ever their mention style of music in these threads? I mean, if your preference is a 1x12, that info may not really be helpful to the next reader if you play clean dinner jazz and he/she plays bar room blues or garage rock.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I play in a variety coverband. I think 1x12 is my only good option and I am definitely considering going back from head/cab to combo only and ever because of cartage and amp placement. I can't really justify a 2x12 at home with low volumes and I cannot fit a 2x12 if I am lugging PA/lights which is most of the time. And I actually do like the sound of a 1x12, normally prefer partial open back.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Why does nobody ever their mention style of music in these threads? I mean, if your preference is a 1x12, that info may not really be helpful to the next reader if you play clean dinner jazz and he/she plays bar room blues or garage rock.

Well ... I like to mention gain levels and general schools of amp design ... higher gain Marhsally tones, using bridge humbuckers (as mentioned in my above post) -VS- lower gain or cleanish Fendery tones, using neck or neck/middle single coil pickups. This is a gross generalization, but covers many musical styles and is better than nothing. :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom