1x12 vs 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kaseri, Jul 11, 2005.

1. kaseri

kaseri Member

I currently use a Bogner 1x12 "cube" loaded with a v30 & a Dr. Z 6545 head. Been thinking of going to a Z 4x10 cab though. Anyone here have any experience using a 4x10 for Rock music? Hopefully someone here has used both a 1x12 & a 4x10 cab & be able to make some comparisons of both cabs for me.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Z 4x10 wwill be badasss!

Two speakers are almost always better than one IMO. Four is grand :D

The Z 10's are huge sounding. 4x10's with a 6545 would straight kill.
    Tons of people have played rock through 4x10's. The Z 4x10 will sound much bigger than you're regular 4x10 and the lowend response is unbelievable

3. HHB

HHB Member

love my Bogner 410 wonderful tone, big bally yet not as directional or phasy as a closeback 412. I also gig a 112 Rambler and love it, but the 410 is the ****

4. kaseri

kaseri Member

So you feel that a 4x10 is much bigger sounding than a 1x12. Makes sense. More speakers bigger sound. What about the response of the Z 10's ? I want to be sure my lows are tight, mids articulate & defined without being over bearing & my highs to be smooth & not piercing.

Any idea if maybe a 2x10 would sound as good? Do you think a 2x10 would sound bigger than my 1x12 closed back dual ported Bogner?

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

The Dr Z 4X10 is a great sounding cab. I find it very even across the highs-mids-bottom. With Z's 10 inch speakers, the bottom stays very tight. Recently/currently I'm playing either a Demeter TGA-3, Budda Stringmaster, or a '61 Blonde Bassman through my Z 4X10. From clean to crunch to over the top distortion (TGA-3) it holds up and moves a lot of air. You should not have any worries about playing Rock through a 4X10.
    FWIW,
    Rick

6. kaseri

kaseri Member

What about the 2x10 Z cab? Any idea what that would sound like compared to a 1x12?

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Of course a 4x10 is gonna sound bigger than a 1x12. 12" vs 40".

The Z 10 cabs have the tightest low end I've heard, and the high end is great but not piercing at all.

I had a Z28 2x10 combo for a while and it sounded like a MONSTER. Bigger than any 1x12 I've ever heard.

IMO the Z 10's sound like exactly what you are looking for.

8. kaseri

kaseri Member

How was the low end response in the 2x10 Z cab? I want it to be tight but not boomy.

9. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Neither cab is boomy. I've traded both Z4x10 and Z2x10 in favor of a Z1x12 because I don't need the volume provided by the 4x10. It was cool with the Ghia given the 18 watts and need to be louder but a Z28 or Maz Sr was more than I needed.

I would imagine the 2x10 Z cab would do fine for you...lightweight and huge sounding. But if you're playing really big stages the 4x10 is an excellent rock cabinet. Pic of my 4x10 below:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. hasserl

hasserl Member

2 x 10's are bnot woofy at all, very tight bottom end. And punchy & articulate. They spread the sound better than 1x12.

The advantage of the 1x12 is compact size and convienance to carry, and a wide selection of great speakers to choose from. A large ported 1x12 can sound bigger than a 2x10. But then you loose the convienant size advantage.

4x10 is better yet, giving you a bigger sound, airy yet tight.

Better yet IMO is a 1x15 ported bass reflex or detuned type cab. :dude

Here's an idea I saw on the J Designs website, a 1x15/2x10 cab. put the 15 on the bottom and the 10's on top, now that might be really cool!

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A well designed 1x12 can hang w/ the best of 'em, IMHO.

Tone Tools Fat Cat

Rivera TAC112

etc...

12. pepi

pepi Member

I like the sound of 1 12" better.

13. dave s

dave s Member

Everyone has given a lot of positives regarding 410 cabs.

The only thing I'd be overly conscious of is whether you wanted an open back 410 or closed back.

The open backs are going to sound more vintagey and produce HUGE amounts of reflective sound coming out the back of the cab, traveling along walls and bouncing off walls and back over the cab. Kind of an 'automatic 3D' thing going on.

When I first got the Bogner open-back 410 it was sitting on the floor. More of the sound I heard was from reflections of the sound exiting the rear of the cab in my ears. It was pretty strange.

In comparison, my 212 open back Matchless cab doesn't produce anywhere near the rear exit sound volume as the Bogner 410 did.

Overall, I REALLY like 410 cabs ... especially the open-back variety.

dave

14. kaseri

kaseri Member

The more I think about a 4x10 cab the less appealing it is to me. I'm trying to keep my rig small and light. Let's focus on the difference between the following cabs-

Dr. Z 2x10 vs. 1x12 v30 cab

Anyone able to comment on the differences? Pros? Cons?

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

'nuther vote for 1 12. Not much it can't do. Need more? Mic it.

jon

16. gizmo

gizmo Guest

I love my closed back Marshall 1x12. It's an '80s JCM 800 cab but I replaced the G12T-75 with a Heritage 20 watt greenback. Convenient size, light weight, and sounds fantastic with my old Lead & Bass 20 head.

Works well with all my guitars - Strat, LP, and EB/MM (first Marshall rig I've owned that really does justice to my strat, fwiw).

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ear, almost every 1X12 cab or combo I've tried had a boxiness to their sound....except for the Tone King's. The fullness 1X12 TK Meteor I once owned really surprized me but I didn't care for the amp itself. 4X10's have a much fuller sound than a 1X12 but they do move a lot of air so you have to be careful in small places. My solution was to look for a cab with one 12" & one 10" speaker in it, which eliminates the tonal boxiness of a typical 1X12 and it sounds almost as full as a 4X10.....and it's much easier to transport.

18. strata189

strata189 Member

If you want a 1X12 that doesn't sound boxey and will hang with anything, get a a detuned cab made. It's not little, but it's also not too heavy - and it sounds really huge with a Tonker or Swamp Thang - or a Weber Blue dog. I haven't tried any other speakers yet (rather play than take the back off and put it back on) but I'm sure many other types would work, as well.
    Randall

19. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi. I figure I'd jump in and get some help from you all... What difference do you think is to be found between a completely closed back (I had a transistor Marshall that were sealed - you couldn't get nowhere near the speaker, there were no screws) and a screwed back that should close all or almost all of the back? I´m talking about combos here...
    By the way, I guess 2x12" are not as popular?
    thanks

20. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a 4x10 I got from Mojotone, and I love it. Easy to transport, sounds good, loud as hell. Open back.