1x12s can be finicky ... finding the right speaker for the right cab.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of people prefer 4x12 and 2x12s, but I'm wondering if it's partially because 1x12s can be so finicky. I've been buying and selling speakers and swapping between three 1x12s and can't believe the differences with sonic compatibility.

Recently I had som success. Putting a Gold in a Two Rock oversized 1x12 had been a great discovery for me. Brighter than I'm used to, but you can't argue with great vibe. This speaker is very special when balanced right, and seems to work well with both neck neck/midle single coils and bridge humbuckers.

I also have an oversized sealed 1x12. The older Weber built Scumback blue back H75 large dust cap 65 watt speaker sounds best in this, and great for bridge humbucker tones that lean on the Marshally side. This also sounds great stacked with the Gold; and increasing the wattage.

I also have a similar Scumback M75 (but 100 watts). I thought it would be even better in the sealed cab, but it just doesn't compare. These M75s have a unique vibe as well, very crusty and rich. Right now I have it in an large Avatar open back 1x12 and it also mixes well with the Gold ... although a little more fat than I wanted.

I've also been experimenting with putting a single speaker in a 2x12, for no particular reason. Really depends on the speaker, most sound too undefined. The Scumnico sounds surprisingly good, but the voicing is still a little off. The Weber 12A125-S sounds great, you would never know that it has a 12" whole next to it.

One problem with all of this swapping; when you find one great match, you gravitate away from everything less.

Anyone else down this rabbit hole?

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
I find *certain* 1x12s to be finnicky.

My Orange PPC112 was a sturdy, well-built cab, but lots of speakers sounded nasal through it, like a low-mid honk.

Most of the open 1x12s I've used that aren't super compact sound decent enough and kind of just sound like the speaker IMO. Closed backs can be more picky, but when you get them right they sound huge.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
My Mesa Royal Atlantic 1x12 27" is the best 1x12 I've ever played.
It's an over sized, 3/4 back and it is just massive sounding.
Dang rare, too. I've been on the hunt for a second one and have not found one in 5 years.

deech54

I have an old Epiphone 1/12 semi-closed back with a 4 ohm WGS ET-65. I use it with 3 different heads. A drip-edge Bassman, a Germino Club 40 (50 watt Marshall), and a Hayseed 30 (AC30). I use an attenuator to match the ohms. This is a good versatile speaker for me, really shines with the Vox and Bassman.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I have a couple of 24" pine 1/12s and they both sound great with just about any speaker in them. Together they sound especially good with greenbacks. Better than the oversized 4/12 recto cab I use to have. Right now they have eminence GB128 in them and they sound good too. Those are the only 1/12s Ive had though so maybe I just got lucky.

Yeah
Over sized cabs just don’t work for me in a live band setting. The bass associated with over sized cabs can be finicky. If I wanted more bass in my guitar sound which I rarely do live, I would just use my amp’s EQ.
No need to be competing with the bass guitar‘s sonic space really.

Yes
The response with a single 1x12 speaker is unmatched compared with other multi speaker amps.

Ejay

A lot of people prefer 4x12 and 2x12s, but I'm wondering if it's partially because 1x12s can be so finicky. I've been buying and selling speakers and swapping between three 1x12s and can't believe the differences with sonic compatibility.

Recently I had som success. Putting a Gold in a Two Rock oversized 1x12 had been a great discovery for me. Brighter than I'm used to, but you can't argue with great vibe. This speaker is very special when balanced right, and seems to work well with both neck neck/midle single coils and bridge humbuckers.

I also have an oversized sealed 1x12. The older Weber built Scumback blue back H75 large dust cap 65 watt speaker sounds best in this, and great for bridge humbucker tones that lean on the Marshally side. This also sounds great stacked with the Gold; and increasing the wattage.

I also have a similar Scumback M75 (but 100 watts). I thought it would be even better in the sealed cab, but it just doesn't compare. These M75s have a unique vibe as well, very crusty and rich. Right now I have it in an large Avatar open back 1x12 and it also mixes well with the Gold ... although a little more fat than I wanted.

I've also been experimenting with putting a single speaker in a 2x12, for no particular reason. Really depends on the speaker, most sound too undefined. The Scumnico sounds surprisingly good, but the voicing is still a little off. The Weber 12A125-S sounds great, you would never know that it has a 12" whole next to it.

One problem with all of this swapping; when you find one great match, you gravitate away from everything less.

I started down that rabbit hole...and found out soon enough that the cab type/shape/size is where the money is. So I ended up with a cab with removeable back. Removing/adding that little board on the back gets you a whole new cab in 20 seconds!!! ;)

Speakers.....well...there is some difference between them....but no where near what they get credit for..and nothing an eq cant compensate....so I stopped worrying about that. C90,v30,Emv12...they are supposed to be very different...well...they all work fine for me, some with a couple of Db EQ

To me 1x12s sound the best...2x12 and 4x12 come with phase related phenomena which are potential “sit well in the mix” issues..are bulky and don’t meet todays reality where your not gonna bang heads of with walls of sound.

Last edited:

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
My Mesa Royal Atlantic 1x12 27" is the best 1x12 I've ever played.
It's an over sized, 3/4 back and it is just massive sounding.
Dang rare, too. I've been on the hunt for a second one and have not found one in 5 years.
I remembered your post and just came across this thing today, no affiliation:

It doesn't look like the RA series to me, or the usual 3/4 back cabs, but it appears very wide for a 1x12 and that small oval hole in the back is peculiar. I haven't seen this style of cab before. Is this like the one you have??

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I remembered your post and just came across this thing today, no affiliation:

It doesn't look like the RA series to me, or the usual 3/4 back cabs, but it appears very wide for a 1x12 and that small oval hole in the back is peculiar. I haven't seen this style of cab before. Is this like the one you have??
That is odd, not like anything I've seen. Being ported and short, I'm guessing the wide sides will be there mostly for ascetics when a larger cab is on top. As the ported frequencies make their way around the cab, they will take the shortest distance.

Waldo Nova

That is odd, not like anything I've seen. Being ported and short, I'm guessing the wide sides will be there mostly for ascetics when a larger cab is on top. As the ported frequencies make their way around the cab, they will take the shortest distance.
That is a Mesa Electrodyne cab (fairly certain). The amps had that oval hole in the cab too.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
That is a Mesa Electrodyne cab (fairly certain). The amps had that oval hole in the cab too.
This is the Electrodyne/Royal Atlantic cab.
Slightly different (front) aesthetics than the Lone Star cab. Definitely a different back. Just massive sounding. mesa_1x12-royal-atlantic_m.jpg thumb_d_gallery_base_5de964e6.jpg

Waldo Nova

It is a Roadster 1x12 cabinet...

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
It is a Roadster 1x12 cabinet...

Interesting, it's the same size as the 2x12 but the 2x12 is not ported. I wonder if one speaker in that size sealed cab sounded bad so they put a port in it?

Waldo Nova

Interesting, it's the same size as the 2x12 but the 2x12 is not ported. I wonder if one speaker in that size sealed cab sounded bad so they put a port in it?
I would bet that you're right. They couldn't make it slimmer because the Roadster head was so big.

Devin

Low Voltage
YES, I have an Avatar 1x12 and a "charming" home made 1x12 job made with nice figured walnut and front ported. The hardwood closed back cab throws highs like nobodies business. I tried running a blue in it for a while, couldn't listen to it without earplugs. The avatar cab sounds dull when run closed back, birch ply absorbs those high high-highs nicely. Most of the time an open back 1x12 works better than closed.

for more than a decade my only speaker experiences were either a weber made h75, a super low watt old Jensen or a tone tubby low watt, needless to say even though I was ready for more "presence" in a speaker I still find allot of celestion distorted tones nice in clips but alarming and unpleasant in person. I've tried a few and will try more but the cele "thing" is just not for me at lower volumes. Love the ripping high end but most just sound broken clean to me. It's all personal preference.

I like a big magnet with allot of dope or a smooth cone. My compromise at the moment is I've decided to marry my fane F-70 to my avatar cab with ported back. In the hardwood I'm putting a tone tubby alnico low watt that fell into my lap on reverb but I still shop around for something different, like a weber silver bell.

Cab wise, I think a pine 1x12 is the way to go. Wish I had one.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Avatar 1x12 traditional cab with an Avatar Fane M65 speaker. The M65 speaker unfortunately does not work well with all my amps. I am going to purchase an Alnico Cream for the 1x12 cab which will hopefully work better with all my amps.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member

I got lucky. Bought a Barefaced Reformer 1x12 cab and put in a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback Classic speaker. Couldn't be happier. Check out the Barefaced stuff, wide sound dispersal with a really handy low-cut filter switch.

Trending Topics