1x15 vs 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by plan-x, Sep 14, 2008.

1. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I'm intrigued by the recent threads on 1x15. I had a buddy who had a fender combo back in the 70's that sounded really good. Any thoughts on this. Whats fuller or smoother, etc.

2. frank4001

frank4001 Member

There are so many different speakers its very hard to generalize but I would say that the 15 seems more scooped in their EQ curve to me but they stay fat in their treble. Bit clearer but can fatten up where 2x12's can be muddy all things being equal. They have a more piano like bass note responce. Chords seem to ring out well. For me its about gigging too (although my old supro with 1x15 is a fantastic recording amp). I can get a big bass responce but the volume is more managable, the highs very fat(although some dude claims he thinks the Weber F150 is "ice picky". I don't think so but whatever...) They also don't seem as beamy. I play a BF Tremolux (35 watts) through Weber F150 on 90% my gigs and my volume is always just enough over the drums. I think they throw the sound out differently. Maybe a wider dispersal but I don't know. I've always kept trying stuff till I felt the sound and responce was right and since I've gone to this set up I've kind of stopped trying. I play strats and Tele's mostly and cover country to Cream. A LP sounds great too. I just put everything in a pine combo cab and I really like it. I've ended up with alot of 2x12's because of experimntation and they sound real good too. I use them with a JTM45, a Bassman and TW Express clone and my Tremolux when it was in head and had many good nights with them but this current setup, with 1x15, is just right for what I do. Sometimes I think 1x15 is similar to 4x10's is responce too. hard to put into words. My 15's are all Jensen type too so the JBL/EV thing is a whole different ball of wax...Maybe your more confused now....No way around it...Go try it for yourself and see if its a fit.

3. Rick51

Rick51 Member

You'll find a lot more difference between different models of the same size speaker than you will between different sizes of the same model.

Comparing 12" vs. 15" of the same speaker, the 15" will have a little stronger low end because the cone is a little heavier, the resonant freq will be lower. It may be a little louder as the larger cone may move a little more air. It will also be more beamy because of the larger diameter.

4. sabby

sabby Member

With all the qualifiers above considered, I find that stout 15s in open back cabs fill a room and lower volume levels than do two 12s. By "stout" I mean P/C15Ns, the new Emis, JBL, EV, etc. They can be beamy, but this is easily defeated with somekind of beam blocker or by turning the amp around. (They're not beamy like a sealed 4x12.) Frank is dead on in comparing the 1x15 to the 4x10. A 15 is sort of the ying to a open back 4x10's yang. While the 4x10s are quick and punchy while remaining both chimey and fat, a 15 can be wide, bouncy, chimey, and fat. Those are my two favorite speaker set-ups

FWIW, for my purposes, I couldn't get enough sparkle out of a Weber 15A150 until it I pushed the top too far, right into ice-pick zone. But for someone looking for warmer, fatter, blues tones it would have been just fine. The Weber 15A150B fixed this for me. But I wanted more headroom. It all comes down to finding the fight match of gear for your style. That said, 15s generally compliment rootsy clean-to-gritty-to-fuzzy tones. If you want more classic rock gain, you may prefer two 12s

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I,m considering building a cab. I love a big full sound!

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Very tough call. Both have many good points. The 1x15 seems to serve me better, or at least more often, in gigging. In part due to speaker format ... probably more due to how much I go for this particular amp (Sewell Wampus Cat). The WC sound is wide; it fills up a room. Warm, deep. For fullness of tone (as in PHAT), this one is my favorite.

When I do take out the 57 RI lo power tweed twin and the twilighter 260, I can hear the differences. A different type of projection. The 2x12s can fool you with volume ... you think it's on the quiet side while small animal are passing out 15 feet in front of the amp. Bass can be tighter on the 2x12, though that is as much speaker choice as format.

The tweed twin is in many ways the perfect gigging amp IMHO, but I most often can't resist the 1x15.