• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

2 15W Heads into 4x12 Cab?

fuzzymanpeach

• Here's the gear I'd like to merge: Marshall 1960a 4x12 Cabinet. Vox Night Train 1st Gen always played on Triode mode (7.5 watts), Marshall DSL30H (same Triode setting).
• I think these two heads would sound awesome mixed together and I don't want another cab on stage. Problem is.. my 1960a has 1 input and no stereo mode with 2 inputs. I REALLY like how this cabinet sounds. Would it be possible to do a little surgery on this thing and wire the speakers in pairs as if it were 2 2x12's being powered by separate heads and add another input? Would this cause a problem in any areas?
• I've read a few threads elsewhere on similar topics but I feel like this combination of small watt heads being played in triode mode are different compared to most ppl trying to do the same thing but with 30-50 watt heads on full power. Anyone have any suggestions??

ked

As you said, wire the speakers so that you have two pairs in the cabinet. Add an additional input for one of the pairs and use the original input for the other pair. Won't cause a problem as long as the impedance of the speakers matches the impedance of the amp.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
When running 2 amps in stereo, I really like to be able to separate the amps with some space to really give the sound some spread. Won't be able to do that I guess. Are you planning on running stereo effects or just running them with a splitter?

fuzzymanpeach

When running 2 amps in stereo, I really like to be able to separate the amps with some space to really give the sound some spread. Won't be able to do that I guess. Are you planning on running stereo effects or just running them with a splitter?
I've read about this as well. The 2 different head sounds are merging in one box and 'fight' if you will. No stereo effects, just splitting. Do you think I'll have much trouble without having the speakers separated? I'm assuming there could possibly be a 'muddy' sound in doing this?

elijah

I've read about this as well. The 2 different head sounds are merging in one box and 'fight' if you will. No stereo effects, just splitting. Do you think I'll have much trouble without having the speakers separated? I'm assuming there could possibly be a 'muddy' sound in doing this?
It will likely work very well, but it won't be able to exaggerate stereo effects, like two cabs would.

t.hendrix

It will work . You will hear the stereo imagine but not as well if you had the space between the speakers. Farther away better the stereo. If you play live with way your doing it will never cut threw the mix or stage.i love running 2 amps. I found different speakers work the best if your using the same cab. Pick up some scum backs and something else. Once you hear the stereo image effect ,,,plugging into just one amp (for me)isn't going to sound good anymore. Finally I found what works best for me[URL=http://s692.photobucket.com/user/thendrix/media/SDC12538.jpg.html][/URL]

My 1960a is already wired stereo for two 8 Ohm amps, must be a later model I guess. I put the JVM into one side and a VOX AC30 into the other. I couldn't get rid of this strange artefact sound in the high frequencies somewhere which kind of grated on me, so I gave it up. The phase was correct, so I'm not sure why, but give it a go, may sound great.

Trending Topics