2 amp Setup - New to Stereo - thoughts, help, advice?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Novakane, May 7, 2015.

1. Novakane

Novakane Member

I just finally rebuilt and reconfigured my board to run to 2 amps.
    While the initial focus is to create and loop faux basslines out of my guitar (via ABY to octave pedal to JamMan Stereo to bass rig) and then switch back to my guitar rig to jam over the loop, I am now becoming interested in the capabilities of stereo effects, panning, etc. (not to mention, playing with a live drummer over loops is very difficult). This would enable me to create a more spatial sound at times as opposed to setting precise loops and tap dancing around.

However, i have no stereo pedals (other than the JamMan), so i am very interested in the idea of being able to pan my modulation effects (delay, phaser, reverb) over to the bass rig. These currently are in my effects loop of my Laney GH50L.

I was thinking if I wanted to explore this a bit on the cheap, i could pick up a EHX Pulsar, but i am not sure if it will pan all of my non-stereo effects...
    Do i need all stereo effects pedals?

Any thoughts, input, tips, much appreciated.

2. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

You don't need to spend lots of cash for stereo adventure time.. TC Electronic's modulation is unmatched when it comes to stereo panning. I have personal experience with the Hall of Fame and Flashback Triple (Flashback X4 too), and the Boss DD-5/7.

Also, check out the Big Distortion Sound Machine. It was designed for exactly what you described- it splits a mono signal into 2 parallel fuzzes (compressed, bass-heavy Ruiner and the brighter, OD-like Torn's Peaker).

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd never seen that Sound Machine, big question is how would it function in a line level loop? Many fuzz want to see your guitar pu's load. Seriously like the tones it was throwing out though.

Ok sorry for hijack.....

OP, start simple, go find you a used Digitech dl-8 for $70 or similar that does stereo delay/mod delay. Stereo delays, especially with modulation are a primary stereo effect that many who run stereo consider essential. You can add chorus/flange and others in front of it later. Mxr stereo chorus is a nice one thats not to pricey especially used.

4. Dan Zimmerman

Dan Zimmerman Member

To do it without any problems you will need an aby box with an isolated out, a ground loop switch, and a phase reversal switch.
    Lehle makes good ones.
    This costs money but then you can create a stereo setup and not have to worry about phase and grounding issues which will inevitably pop up.