1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

2 amps with an A/B switch.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by UconnJack, Jul 11, 2005.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I've got a big gig this week and don't really feel like dropping the $$ on a good amp switcher like the Framptone or Tonebone.

I have a Loooper A/B switch. Can I use this? I want to run a Carr Rambler (for clean/strat stuff) and a GB El Diablo 100 (for dirt). The Carr has the dual mode power switch which I think reverses the polarity?

Can I run like this, or will I experience problems? Appreciate any suggestions.

UJ

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You will likely experience ground loop problems.

Try removing the ground connection (the shield) from one end of your signal cables between the A/B box and an amp as a possible fix.

If you plan on using two amps often, save up for a good isolated switcher-it will be worth it.

3. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I plan on getting one, just not in time for this weeks gig.

How do you experience a ground loop? Do you get a loud buzz, or will I blow an amp or something? In other words, Can it be detrimental to either amp if I run them as described?

Thanks for the response.

4. fullerplast

You'll just get a buzz, and not the pleasant kind.;)

If you are lucky, it may work out fine. There is no way to know ahead of time. The odds are against you though....

Don't worry about damage to anything. It will just be annoying.

5. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i did this for a year with a whirlwind a/b box and two differently modded pv c30's. never had a ground loop problem. may be due the whirlwind maybe due the amps being similar. i would try it first.

6. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks,

From what I'm gathering, there is no way to really try it unless I were to go to the venue and plug into the actual outlet. If it works in my house, no way to guantaree it will work at the gig, correct?

Ideally, I'd like to know if I can do it in advance, because it will impact my pedal board and wiring arrangment.

Maybe I need to find an isolated switcher fast (and cheap)!

7. fullerplast

No guarantees, but if it works at your house and if you plug both amps into the same power strip at the gig your odds are pretty good that it will work OK. If you were in MD/DC I'd loan you my Lehle for your gig...

8. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks, I'd take you up on it too!