• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

2 capacitors for $113. Now that's a good deal!

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Too expensive for vintage bee caps. I've never paid more than $20. for a bee cap.

I guarantee there'll be more than a few gullible idiots buying them. How much is bulk fairy dust these days, and does it mix well with snake oil? I feel a nice little commercial enterprise coming on...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I like my vintage caps like my other fixes. They need to be bought from a shady back alley character.
The caps need to be in original packaging that shows how they were forgotten about in some antique electrical shop and sought out by the guitar geek equivalent of Indiana Jones.

chervokas

If all Gibson is doing is wrapping a standard production Westco polypropelene cap in a brown, molded case and selling it for 25X or more what you get it for without the case from a conventional supplier, well, there oughta be a law....

mpr

To the naysayers, you wouldn't know because you can't appreciate these caps without a $500 cable. Power cable.

The thing is, this price is straight from Gibson. I didn't know major brands were in the snake oil biz.

Wow, my amp guy just gives 'em to me when I need 'em... :)
Sell them on eBay for $80. :)

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
How much is bulk fairy dust these days, and does it mix well with snake oil? I feel a nice little commercial enterprise coming on...
that mixture makes "mojo mud", which was mixed into the hide glue, nitro finish and alnico magnets of old instruments and entirely accounts for their superior tone.

eight_strings

I learned my lesson with this crap after I bought an "original NOS" JCM4558D for 30 bucks. I still kick myself for it. -.-

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
One thing those caps did bring about was a great lesson in Internet psychology...

When they were hot, there was a long thread on one of the Les Paul forums as some of the expert tonemeisters checked in to report that they had installed the reissue "bees" and had finally achieved the vintage tones they'd been seeking.

Then someone cut some open and posted pictures. (it might have been the same article). Without missing a beat, the entire group, en masse, began postulating on why the added plastic caused such a drastic improvement.

Apparently, additional mass on a capacitor creates vintage tone :jo.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
:horse

It's time for the once a month Gibby Bumblebee thread

Yippee!

I was gonna say I've read this thread several times since Gibson started offering them. I had to check the op timestamp to see that it wasn't another zombie thread.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom