2 Celestion Blues with a JTM-45?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Right now I have 2 Greenbacks with my JTM-45 (Germino Classic 45) and, although it sounds great, there’s that little bit of “buzzy-ness/fizz” that comes through. I have a Celestion Cream Alnico that I tried with it and it gets rid of that fizzy sound but lacks the “liveliness” (high end?) of the Greenbacks. Would a pair of Blues do the trick? I was also considering a pair of Scumnicos. Opinions? Comments? Other suggestions?

Are you overdriving the amp naturally? If so, there’s some risk involved. I push the hell out of my speakers. I ran a Greenback loaded 2x12 with my cranked 50W Hiwatt for years, and I’m not sure I’d risk 2 Blues with a cranked JTM45.

A better option would be 2 Scumback S75 PVC 65W if you want the sound of a Blue with more power handling. If you want a Greenback without fizz, the M75 is awesome. That’s basically what it is.

Though, Greenbacks have a fairly muted top end. The M75 does to. Blues are brighter.

If you’re using the JTM45 as a pedal platform, Blues may be ok. But I’d say the amp has enough grunt to toast them if you’re not careful. I can vouch for the M75 and S75 PVC. Both awesome speakers.

Last edited:

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Are you overdriving the amp naturally? If so, there’s some risk involved. I push the hell out of my speakers. I ran a Greenback loaded 2x12 with my cranked 50W Hiwatt for years, and I’m not sure I’d risk 2 Blues with a cranked JTM45.

A better option would be 2 Scumback S75 PVC 65W if you want the sound of a Blue with more power handling. If you want a Greenback without fizz, the M75 is awesome. That’s basically what it is.

Though, Greenbacks have a fairly muted top end. The M75 does to. Blues are brighter.

If you’re using the JTM45 as a pedal platform, Blues may be ok. But I’d say the amp has enough grunt to toast them if you’re not careful. I can vouch for the M75 and S75 PVC. Both awesome speakers.
I’m running the amp at around 4 to 5 on the volume but I’m using it through a Fryette Power Station - so the speakers aren’t getting hit very hard. I don’t want any more brightness in the top end over the Greenbacks so the Blues don’t sound like what I’m looking for. Others have recommended the M75 based on my descriptions. I think I’m convinced - that’s the way to go.

I’m running the amp at around 4 to 5 on the volume but I’m using it through a Fryette Power Station - so the speakers aren’t getting hit very hard. I don’t want any more brightness in the top end over the Greenbacks so the Blues don’t sound like what I’m looking for. Others have recommended the M75 based on my descriptions. I think I’m convinced - that’s the way to go.
The M75 is the way to go if you want a Greenback sound without fizz. The M75 is also more articulate and has better note definition. Like any Scumback vs Celestion comparison, the Scumback lacks fizz and is more polite, but has all the right frequencies. The Celestion can be fizzy, but has more attitude.

That being said, have you tried playing with the settings on your Power Station. Take the RL filter down to Brite or Flat if you’re on Edge. Is the presence full off?

Also, run the amp into the PS at 8 ohms. And engage the low pass filter. This will reduce fizziness.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Right now I have 2 Greenbacks with my JTM-45 (Germino Classic 45) and, although it sounds great, there’s that little bit of “buzzy-ness/fizz” that comes through.
I got rid of the Greenbacks in my Bluesbreaker for that reason (amongst others).

I've tried my Bluesbreaker with:

• The Blue Alnicos in my AC30.
  • My custom 2X12 with a Scumback S75-PVC and a SC75 (both 65W).

Both options sound absolutely fantastic.

Careful of the Blues and cranking a JTM45 though.

MHG

The type of guitar being used and playing style should probably be considered as well. As a Blues based Strat player, I love my JTM45 with the Scumback M75, but I've definitely read Humbucker players recommend against this particular pairing. I think Jim may have also mentioned something along those lines. I suppose things could get too mid oriented with humbuckers. Sounds amazing with a Strat though.

The other speakers I'm using with my JTM45 and JTM30 are;

- Celestion 20w Greenbacks
- Cream Alnico
- Ruby Alnico
- Scumback J75
- WGS Retro 10
- WGS Retro 30
- WGS Invader
- WGS ET65
- WGS ET10
- WGS Black & Blue

They all sound amazing with this amp, and which is my favorite depends on the day, but to me, the M75 and 20w Greenbacks yield the most traditional vintage JTM45 tones...........for a Blues based Strat player that is. But each of the speakers mentioned above gives me a unique, and equally amazing variation of the JTM45 tone and feel.

Last edited:

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
Where in the frequency spectrum are you hearing the buzz/fizziness?

FWIW, I run my Classic 45 into a Bogner 4x12 loaded with Chinese RI Greenbacks and I don’t hear any buzz/fizz. Sounds great.

Perhaps it’s more due to the cab configuration or the fact that you’re running the PS with it?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
The type of guitar being used and playing style should probably be considered as well. As a Blues based Strat player, I love my JTM45 with the Scumback M75, but I've definitely read Humbucker players recommend against this particular pairing. I think Jim may have also mentioned something along those lines. I suppose things could get too mid oriented with humbuckers. Sounds amazing with a Strat though.

The other speakers I'm using with my JTM45 and JTM30 are;

- Celestion 20w Greenbacks
- Cream Alnico
- Ruby Alnico
- Scumback J75
- WGS Retro 10
- WGS Retro 30
- WGS Invader
- WGS ET65
- WGS ET10
- WGS Black & Blue

They all sound amazing with this amp, and which is my favorite depends on the day, but to me, the M75 and 20w Greenbacks yield the most traditional vintage JTM45 tones...........for a Blues based Strat player that is.
Yup. Stratocaster, blues... Some rock thrown in there too. :cool:

Reactions: MHG

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Germino Classic 45 that I ran through a Jenkins Highway 61 cab with Blues and it sounded great! I think the Classic 45 is closer to 30 watts. Greg gave a thumbs up for the Blues at the time but said no way for a Club 40.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Where in the frequency spectrum are you hearing the buzz/fizziness?

FWIW, I run my Classic 45 into a Bogner 4x12 loaded with Chinese RI Greenbacks and I don’t hear any buzz/fizz. Sounds great.

Perhaps it’s more due to the cab configuration or the fact that you’re running the PS with it?
I have my setup hooked up to an amp/speaker switcher where all my amps can share the PS as well as all the speaker cabs, one amp at a time of course! I’ve tried the JTM with a Cream Alnico and a Hellatone (Avatar) A25. I don’t hear the fizziness with those speakers, but the overall tone isn’t what I’m after - although the Cream Alnico does sound good. I do switch between the Greenbacks and the Cream a lot. The other amps, a Germino Lead 35 and a Carol-Ann 67-18c (18w clone) get the same results with the Greenbacks. The Greenies are in a 2x12 Avatar cabinet. Mind you, it doesn’t sound bad, just some extra chrunchiness happening. I’ve been pretty happy with them, but my insatiable desire to spend more money to find the ultimate tone that will bring harmony to the universe keeps me looking. I should be happy with what I have and just play guitar!!!

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Weber Alnico Blue Dog I use with a Vox / Matchless type amp and at other times a Powerstation with some pedals. It definitely isn't as loud as my Warehouse Veteran 30. I have them in identical type cabinets. I like both of them but playing a stereo rig with the 2 speakers doesn't work because of the differences in output volumes. I should probably crank it and see if that gets resolved at higher output levels.

I've been revisiting the Blue Dog and it does have a rich tone to it. The presence coming through it is really nice. The top end doesn't get ice pick sounding. Mids aren't honky. The bass is about right for classic metal and clean tones.

As far as your options those Scumbacks have my attention.

I had a Z-Best cabinet with a Vintage 30 and I think a G12-65. It sounded really really good with distortion being ran through it but for clean tones the bass was way to boomy and the top end felt like a knife going through my temple.

Why not mix a alnico with a GB type speaker? I’ve tried maybe dozens of different speakers with my jtm 45. I wanted to use a 2x12 cab and settled on a wgs Blackhawk (gold clone) and a scumback j75 and have never looked back. Killer blues/classic rock setup with a LP or strat.

And if you do use alnicos id also recommended using a semi opened back cab. I’m not really a fan of using alnicos in closed back cabs although I guess it works for some guys. And if you’re using a open/semi open cab you’d probably want a more powerful speaker than blues to keep them from flubbing out unless you’re running a 4x12. Although I believe the original jtm 45 “bluesbreaker” combo came stock with blues and it was open back. Those sound pretty good from what I’ve heard. Never played through one but would love to

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
And if you do use alnicos id also recommended using a semi opened back cab. I’m not really a fan of using alnicos in closed back cabs although I guess it works for some guys. And if you’re using a open/semi open cab you’d probably want a more powerful speaker than blues to keep them from flubbing out unless you’re running a 4x12. Although I believe the original jtm 45 “bluesbreaker” combo came stock with blues and it was open back. Those sound pretty good from what I’ve heard. Never played through one but would love to
I agree 100%! The 2 cabs with Alnicos are open back. Greenbacks are in a convertible closed back so I can open it up if I go with Alnicos. Mixing speakers is another option to think about... :aok

darkphader

I've used a Blue in a 1x12 with my Reinhardt Sentinel (JTM-45 style amp), sounded glorious, but a Jensen Jet Tornado Stealth 65 sounds glorious as well and very close to the Blue, also much lighter and can handle the power.

Trending Topics