2 channel amps that are not channel switchers, why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChazMania, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Sorry if this is a lame question, but why are some 2 channel amps, not channel switchers? By that, I mean, why don't these amps come with a footswitch for the channels?

I'm thinking of the 65 London, the Hayseed, etc. It seems you need to by a Framptone, a Switchazel, Switchbone, etc in order to use either or/both channels of these type amps. Why do the makers not include a footswitch if they make a 2 channel amp?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i think boutique builders realize that pedal board space is very important ... if you buy an ABY ... you can pretty much use it with any amp ... if you have to have a set footswitch for every amp ... well you get the point ...

just a thought, might not be the reason.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

What's cool with an ABY and a dual input non-channel switching amp is that you can run both channels together, if you want. Makes for some very cool additional sounds!

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

As mentioned by riff, the ability to blend channels is probably the main reason. However, less circuitry means an amp could be sold for less money too.

5. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

You do get added functionality with a split channel amp verses a channel switcher. Say you only use X pedal on the first channel, you can put it after the clean output, thus never effecting the second channel.

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I discussed this recently with Ben Fargen in regard to a Bordeaux 30 he's working on for me. The original Bordeaux design had a single input and a channel switching circuit, but apparently the evolution of the design has led him to implementing two separate inputs, one for the Blackbird channel, and one for the VOS channel. His reasoning for this echoes much of what has been stated above, but Ben also noted that with a single input and channel switch, the two "separate" amps share a circuit path at the beginning of the signal flow, and by using two inputs, each amp has its own individual circuit that is never shared with the other. This configuration does require an ABY, but that's more a benefit than a hindrance in my book.

7. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I have an 18 watt TMB, and I love having the seperate channels. One is rhythm, and one is lead, and I have my F** Echo running into my lead channel turned on all the time, and my Crunch Box on my rhythm channel, and don't have to worry about switching the Echo on and off whenever I do a lead break.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Plus two channels gives you two truly separate EQs, two truly different input tubes are possible (ala Matchless DC30), even the ability to plug in two different instruments (the original idea behind the Fender dual channel amps)...

9. SGFan

SGFan Member

Does anyone know if the Tone King Meteor II has two discrete inputs, or is the channel switching internal?

10. riffmeister

yes, with the dual input non-channel switcher and an ABY you can have separate effects going to the two channels by placing the effects after the ABY. this allows you to to make a big change in sound with the tap of a footswitch on the ABY. I used to do this with my Matchless DC30.......delay & chorus going into the clean channel, flange & wah & OD pedal going into the gain channel. Good Stuff!

11. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Ahhhh, this is very helpful...so your 'switchbox' is first in the chain? I.E, guitar into switchbox then out of A to chorus - delay - channel 1 of amp, then out of B to wah - od - channel 2 of amp?

Looks like I may have to rewire my pedalboard! More fun.....

12. cameron

cameron Member

You could put the switchbox first. But there may be some pedals that you'd want to share between channels. Where in the chain you place the A/B/Y box is something that will require some thought. And experimentation.

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Internal channel switching. (I have one FYI) The footswitch is for channel selecting & trem on/off.

Joe

14. riffmeister

right....and as cameron said, you might want to put an effect or two in front of the ABY if you want to use it on both channels. in one of my two-amp rigs and ABY I've been doing that with the wah so I can use it on both amps.

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Joe's right - I have one too. 1 input jack only. Tremelo works on both channels. I had Mark Bartel build my 1/2 power switch into a footswitch - 1/4" jack on the back panel instead of a toggle switch. I set the 1/2 power footswitch next to the Ch. switch footswitch on the pedalboard so I can switch to the Tweed side and go to 1/2 power with 1 'step' - works if the two switches are side-by-side so you can cover both buttons with 1 foot. That way I get full power on the Clean side and 1/2 power on the Tweed side for solos.

It makes the Meteor II work like a Comet. The Comet had somewhat revolutionary footswitching. You can pre-select full or half power on the Tweed side and with one button stomp change channels and go to 1/2 power. Cool idea, works good, and more necessary on a non master volume amp.

Dana O.

16. SGFan

SGFan Member

Joe and Dana, could you tell me more about how you like the Meteor II? I am looking at that amp and a Bruno Cowtipper, but like the idea of the two channels on the Tone King. I don't like the idea though that the meteor does not have two separate channels or no master volume. Any negatives to the Meteor II?