• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

2 Different speakers in a 2X12 Cab

Geardog

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking at ordering a 2X12 cab which can be configured with 2 different speakers if I want. I have no experience with this and wonder if that won't muddy up the tone, or is picking 2 compatible speakers (for the desired tone) the key? What would be Pros & Cons?

I'm interested in your experiences, I'm learning quite a bit from you forum members. Thank you.

Geardog

Gold Supporting Member
Pardon my naivety, what is Emi, Eminence speakers? Right now I looking at Celestion V30/H30 combo, C Blue/H30, and maybe working a Lead 80 in the mix. Generally interested in how combo's like this might sound, how noticable is it, might it be better focused to get 2 of the same speaker, if you stand the cab up does it matter which of the combo is on top, pros/cons/experiences.

Last edited:

beej

It's often great to mix speakers in a cab to get complimentary sounds.

I've got an excellent Guytron closed back 2x12 with a V30 and a CL80. Excellent combination.

Guinness Lad

I think it's all good with little to no negatives. Right now I have a M75 and H75 Scumback 65 watt speakers in my 2x12 and it is divine.

Luke

Pro - each can add to the overall sound
Neg - need to mic both for house sound system to hear what you are hearing on stage

The Kid

I'm a big fan of mixing speakers. I love the Weber Blue Dog / Silver Bell Mix a lot.

Email either Ted Weber or Jim @ Southbay and tell them what sound you're going for.

Last edited:

Geardog

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks Kid, I never thought of that Luke - thanks. Anyone have thoughts on standing up the cab, is that a factor as far as which speaker in the combo goes on top? Or does that only affect the sound during lovemaking?

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
It can work well, I have two Marshall cabs with a V 30 and a G12 H30 in each, and it's pretty good.

Never stood them on the narrow edge though, so can't help you there.

Geardog

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks tonekat, forgive me but you don't sound to enthusiastic with "pretty good", it's not your ideal tone?

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Oh boy, you can go nut's mixing speakers..I mean, it can get too fun and addicting tryin' a multitude of combinations. An EV12L and a Celestion 80 is my set-up..Huge, crystal clear but can get mean and handle any amp around.

Trending Topics