2 favourite Brownface Vibrato Pedals

Bluto

Hi Folks!

First thanks for sharing here...

I am a vibrato addict,specially brownface Bias vibrato sound. I play with a Maz18 DRZ and mostly my beloved 66 Pro reverb and use its vibrato channel but gig weekly and cannot use always the vibrato footswitch.

I need a couple of Best recommendations of vibrato Addicts like me for that sound to make that deep "Born on the bayou" vibrato. No freaking modulations or clinical sounding pedals please ...i like that deep and warm sound...If possible i would like to find one with no loss of signal

Im in europe so i cant try most.I could buy 2 of the most talked here and try them with my rig

I have this in mind:

1.Swamp Thang
2.Diaz Tremodillo
3.Sugar baby
4.Stigtronics
5.Supa trem/Demeter/Voodoo
6.Magnavibe

I appreciate a LOT your help!!!!

Nachocaster 52,Gibson Special 64,Pro reverb w/Jensens C12,Ep Booster-KOT-Timmy-Les lius-Wampler Plexi-RC Booster-Maxon Ad-9

midwayfair

Magnavibe isn't anything like the sound you're looking for. That's a type of mild phaser that produces a small amount of pitch vibrato.

I also don't think that the Swamp Thang or Tremodillo sound like the actual amps. They have this weird "lope" to their cycle that just doesn't sound natural, but it does sound cool.

If you mean the SONG "Born on the Bayou," that wasn't a brownface amp, and none of the tremolos on your list will produce the same waveform.

Most of the guesses say that the sound was the tremolo on a Kustom Tuck N Roll amp, which is an op-amp based tremolo, no photocells and no bias modulation (and thus a triangle wave). The Boss Tr-2 would be my first choice for reproducing it (without digging through a bunch of schematics to find out which other popular pedals use straight op amp modulation).

Some people seem to think it might have been a twin. Fogerty's twin was black face -- that's photocell tremolo, and MUCH deeper and closer to square wave. Again, basically nothing on your list is anything like that, and I'm pretty sure your PR also has photocell tremolo.

Fogerty is rumored to have used a Tremulator at some point, but he said in an AMA on Reddit that he doesn't use any pedals and plugs straight into an amp. Maybe he just didn't know what his tech was doing ...

i like that deep and warm sound...If possible i would like to find one with no loss of signal
You want warm but no loss of signal? Or do you mean you don't want a volume drop?

Your other option would be to simply go with something that accurately produces multiple waveforms, something like the Catalinbread Semaphore or the Strymon Flint. Digital LFOs can more accurately represent true waveforms, and the Cbread's shape control is the duty cycle, so you can also put it off center and reproduce the asymmetric stuff of the Swamp Thang if you really want that. (But recognize that it has nothing to do with the sound on the song you specified.)

vanguard

If you're talking about the small brown amp power tube bias-vary trem, good luck. There's not a pedal I know of that can mimic that heartbeat pulse.

If you're talking the big brown amp "harmonic vibrato" you've got the Plush Creme de la trem, the Paradolia, the Flint, etc. That was a hard sound to find a few years ago, but there are lots of pedals that do it now.

mdmack

While the old big box Swamp Thang is an incrediable tremolo I think the unit you are looking for would be the Flint set on Harmonic Tremolo.

You want a tremolo pedal that isn't a modulation pedal, AND is a brownface tremolo that sounds like a solid state amp?

hmmmm... they're are a bunch of contradictions to your specifics.

the term Brownface Vibrato should be stricken from the record. Fender had two very different sounding tremolo in their brownface era.

I love midwayfair's post.

OdysseyMike

I'll throw in my $.02, since everyone wants to shoot you down. I play though a brownface princeton exclusively and it's really hard to recreate that sound. I think it's because you don't get the feel of the speaker as much. Anyway, the closest I've gotten is the Swamp Thang. Also the danelectro tuna melt and even the cool cat trem sound great. Maybe look into the mojo bayou trem though I haven't played it before. I think you'll want something with a volume control in it somewhere so you don't get any volume drop. Lots of kits available too!!! In the end, nothing comes close to the feel you get from the real thing, but you can get most of the way there. Best advice, stick the pedal at the end of your board, it will get most of the feel of bias trem best. Hope that helps!!!

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
kingsley bard is unreal - EXACT

swamp thang is a great pedal, but they are built just okay and really need 12v to sound their best. strange box with lots of mojo, but can be a funky player in your chain. DISCONTINUED, with no builder support should you need it.

fulltone still makes a winner, and so many pros use them, very gig worthy. just not the brownface sound - close enough for most ears.

the sugar & the diaz are great pedals too. i'd lean towards the sugar. no noise, sound great. very close to the swamp. see if you can use more volts, as that certainly gets them even closer to an amps tremolo.

but,,,for EXACT plus more pulse & slower speeds, the kingsley bard is top shelf.

I'll throw in my $.02, since everyone wants to shoot you down. I play though a brownface princeton exclusively and it's really hard to recreate that sound. I think it's because you don't get the feel of the speaker as much. Anyway, the closest I've gotten is the Swamp Thang. Also the danelectro tuna melt and even the cool cat trem sound great. Maybe look into the mojo bayou trem though I haven't played it before. I think you'll want something with a volume control in it somewhere so you don't get any volume drop. Lots of kits available too!!! In the end, nothing comes close to the feel you get from the real thing, but you can get most of the way there. Best advice, stick the pedal at the end of your board, it will get most of the feel of bias trem best. Hope that helps!!!
Sorry I'm not trying to shoot the guy down I'm just trying to make sense of what he wants. Brownface vibrato can be harmonic or bias vary. The born on bayou is a solid state amp.

OdysseyMike

Sorry I'm not trying to shoot the guy down I'm just trying to make sense of what he wants. Brownface vibrato can be harmonic or bias vary. The born on bayou is a solid state amp.
No worries. I think based on his different descriptions that he's looking for bias vary type trem. That Kingsley Bard seems pretty nice!

RockinRob

i am confused. why cant u "use always" the vibrato on the pro? I have a 66 Pro and imo there is no finer tremolo.

vanguard

i am confused. why cant u "use always" the vibrato on the pro? I have a 66 Pro and imo there is no finer tremolo.
The opto trem on big blackface amps is a cool effect, but is absolutely not the swampy, brownface pulse. Those two trems are like analog and digital delay; they do the same thing, but very differently.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Plus, it sounds like he doesn't want to have to lug around the footswitch (and on the BF Fenders, no footswitch or RCA shorting plug, no trem).

The problem, of course, it that "bias modulating tremolo" besides being a different waveform than the opto-trem of the BF amps or the more common op-amp volume modulation in most pedals, actually ends up with this complex relationship where the operating range of the output tubes i changed-changing harmonic content. Pretty tough to do with a pedal!

Trending Topics