2 Fractal Audio Questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ronmail65, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

YES, I know there is a monster thread out there regarding this amp. But I just have two questions and I'm too lazy to comb through all that stuff...

1) Axe-Fx VERSUS Axe-Fx Ultimate: In 20 words or less, what is the difference? Sub-question -- do you think the difference is worth the extra $$$?

2) If I had one of these, I would want a pedal board that would a) allow me to move between preset patches (similar to most modeling amps), b) allow access a silent tuner (I'm guessing the Axe-Fx has a tuner built in), and c) has a expression pedal for volume control. What type of Midi Pedal would do this and work well with the Axe-Fx?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Probably won't help the OP to much being he didn't want to have to "comb" through a bunch of reading for a couple answers.

A lot of happy Fractal Audio users out there who could probably give a quick and easy answer.

I too wonder about the OP's question #1 and don't want to have to read through pages of forums to find it. The Fractal Audio website doesn't clearly state the difference of the "Ultra".

3. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

It's Ultra.

In one link, it's here: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

The difference is in extra features for which I have no use. If you will use any of those, your decision will be different than mine.

I use a Behringer FCB1010 with mine. There are lots of others.

There is a search engine on the site linked in electronpirate's post. Use it. If spending a few seconds typing in search criteria is too much effort, then learning how to get the best from an Axe-Fx may be overwhelming.

4. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

+1 to everything Jay said

I use the VL Ground Control Pro, and I have been really happy with it. It does everything you want except the expression pedal is supported but not included. It has two expression pedal inputs (the axe also has two, so you could have 4 if you wanted). I use a roland expression for wah and an EB for volume. I may get the Fractal controller when it comes out though. I'll have to wait and see what it's like though.

D

5. ronmail65

Thanks for the all the info. I'm really tempted to try Axe-Fx.

But I don't have a power amp. If I really want to get a feel for one of these, will I get good representation by running it through the clean channel on a tube guitar amp? And a Vintage 30 cabinet?

6. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

IMO, no. You need to run it through FRFR gear to really grasp the power of the unit. Studio monitors or a decent PA or powered monitor are your best bets for seeing what all it can do.

D

7. ronmail65

D --

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'FRFR'. Please help me out?

And, I do have a small practice PA... so I guess that work better in your opinion?

8. iaresee

iaresee Member

Full Range Flat Response -- it's used to describe an amplifier/speaker combination that aims to reproduce the input signal as accurately as possible, only louder. Adding little to no colouration of its own in the process.

I gotta say that wiki was the final piece that made me decide to put the bulk of my analog gear up for sale and try this thing out. That kind of detail and documentation is what I find most deep digital products lack. And that it's wiki, so users can drive it and contribute to it, warms the cockles of my open source loving heart.

The only thing that would really put the cherry on the sundae for me is a promise from Fractal that, should they ever go belly up, they'll open source all the code for their products so we don't end up with rapidly aging bricks in our racks.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

The Fractal Wiki is an awesome resource.

When I first received mine I struggled as it wasn't as intuitive as I though it might be. After getting pointers from Jay, Electronpirate, and Scott Peterson, I went to the Fractal Wiki site and was amazed at the scope of info I found there.

There are guys who are WAY, WAY more anal than I am (and that's saying something!) who can also author excellent technical posts that are easy to search on the Fractal Wiki site. Use the Wiki, and all your questions will be answered.

Dana O.