1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

2 great new dirt pedals arrived the other day

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bluesrocker99, May 15, 2011.

1. Bluesrocker99

Bluesrocker99 Member

I think we are in a golden age of dirt pedals.
    Got a TC Electronics MojoMojo the other day, was hoping it would be a decent pedal - well, it's more than decent - I'm super impressed, especially for the price.
    One of the best, most natural sounding low/medium OD's I've had the pleasure to play. Great tone controls, nice tight low end and treble has a useable range unlike some.
    Super quiet too.
    Then, enter the Okko Dominator, a totally different animal - designed for high gain - and it does that brilliantly. But the unexpected bonus is that you turn the gain down and it is as good a medium gain pedal as I've ever heard! As with the TC, great tone controls that actually work properly, very responsive to pick attack and cleans up pretty well too.
    Having said all that, I would like to say my search for 'that' tone is over, but it never is!
    Something else will appear over the horizon and tempt me to part with more cash..

2. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

I'm starting to develop gas for the TC stuff. Too bad my pedalboards are full already. I need more space!!!

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I like the Mojo Mojo but it does seem to be a little picky with guitars and amps. It likes my Gibsons, esp my 335, but doesn't like my Gretsch at all. It has a woofy low end with a Gretsch which is actually quite unpleasant. It likes the 335 best, and is ok with my Les Pauls - it prefers the HB LP over P90s.

The Dark Matter is a fair bit tighter in the low end. Also a bit "throatier" - if the Mojo Mojo is tweed/JTM45 flavoured, then the Dark Matter is a Plexi. Both are easily some of the better new ODs around. My Fettos are still king but the TCs are a cool alternative.

I had an Okko Diablo for quite a while. It's very cool. For a lot of folks it would probably be perfect but I found the tone got a bit irritating after a while! One of those "it sounds really good but I just want to turn it off now" pedals - I can't explain it!

4. Bluesrocker99

Bluesrocker99 Member

Hey JimmyR!
    You're right, it is difficult to explain why a certain piece of gear just does or doesn't hit the spot - comes from a gut feeling when playing I reckon. See, I found the MojoMojo best with single coils, I guess it depends on the guitar/amp combo. I found the voice switch helped with humbuckers, stopped it getting too flubby.
    Anyway, check it out people, I love it!
    Must try the Dark Matter too..