2 HBs - no tone control, 2 volumes and 5 way switch?

Oliversjunior

Just curious if anyones wired up 2 humbuckers with a 5 way switch , seperate volume for each humbucker and no tone knobs.

Ive heard of a blend and volume instead of tone as well?

Would something weird happen if the selector switch is in the middle and both volumes are 100% on each humbucker wired this way?

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
It would be slightly brighter, although to be fair it would be almost imperceptible, especially in a band mix. Some have argued that removing the tone control also gives a snappier attack to notes. If you literally never use your tone pots, why not give it a try? its easy to put it back to right if you don't like it.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
What I like about you idea is the mixing of darker and brighter pickups as a means of a tonal palette. It’ll be pretty good for blending.

Mr Fingers

I used Dimarzio's Ron Thal ("Bad Cheese" or some other crazy name) wiring which gives 5 excellent, different sounds w/ a superswitch and 2 splittable HBs. I do use this as my main tone control and it is brilliant, but I still think it's a big mistake not to have onboard tone controls to adjust to the venue or the rest of the band on the fly. I found it too limiting not to have any, and added a master tone to go with the 1 volume pot. Go no-load or whatever, but I've heard way too many guys blasting no-tone control (or dimed tone) guitars to ever want another one put on earth. Not every venue needs your maxed treble.

ieso

I used Dimarzio's Ron Thal ("Bad Cheese" or some other crazy name) wiring which gives 5 excellent, different sounds w/ a superswitch and 2 splittable HBs. I do use this as my main tone control and it is brilliant, but I still think it's a big mistake not to have onboard tone controls to adjust to the venue or the rest of the band on the fly. I found it too limiting not to have any, and added a master tone to go with the 1 volume pot. Go no-load or whatever, but I've heard way too many guys blasting no-tone control (or dimed tone) guitars to ever want another one put on earth. Not every venue needs your maxed treble.
I have an amp with the 'bypass the tone stack' thing and the few times I tired it was, nope, reengage the tone stack! Years ago I would never use a tone pot on a guitar (Strat) but once I got some better tone pots I use them all the time.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I got rid of the tone control when I modded my Steinberger GL. Along with series-single-parallel switches, I added a 6-way rotary switch that provides for all 5-way and 3-way pickup combinations.
View media item 50976
I prefer a bass contour to a passive tone control. My Ibanez S and RG HH guitars all have 5-way switches with the 2 position 2 single coils and the 3 position is the neck parallel humbucking. Very versatile switching!

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
You can get a lot of choices with a super switch, but also a lot of bad choices.

IMHO, humbuckers don't split very well. The best luck I've had is with a '90s PRS 5-way switch with a much stronger neck pickup than desirable. The neck pickup sucks on its own, but everything else sounds great.

Trending Topics