2 heads, one 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I can never figure out which head to gig with. I don't want to haul 2 heads and 2 cabs either. I thought about the Tonebone head switcher but I want to be able to play both at once for a little clean/scream action.

So I'm thining about getting a Tonebone amp switcher and wiring my 2x12 cab so each speaker can seperatly go to one amp. Anybody ever try this?

Is there a way to wire the cab so that if you only plug in one amp both speakers will work but if you plug 2 in they will work seperatly?

2. Bruce Egnater made a really cool amp switcher that would allow you to plug two heads into one cab and switch. I'm not sure if you could A/B and A+B... ask him

www.egnater.com
    emai: info@egnater.com

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

-2 heads + 1 cab = headswitcher
    -2 heads + 1 cab w/ seperate inputs = ABY box
    -2 heads + 1 cab w/ seperate inputs plus speakers wired togethor with a switch is possible, a little tricky though. I would make damn sure the switch was high quality and in a somewhat tuff location so you or someone doesn't bump it by mistake.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

that's how the divided by 13 cabs are wired. I love the flexibility.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

6. Killcrop

So the D13 cabs are wired so the speakers are wired seperatly but if you plug into say the left input both work?

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Dave, yes I do this pretty regularly when I use a stereo Engl 4x12 that I have.. I'll set in on 'stereo " so that's 2 2x12's and use 2 heads with the Switchbone a/b box or simultaneously.

AS for your 2nd question , I have a White Sands 2x12 that's wired with a MONO JACK and a STEREO JACK WITHOUT a switch and it works just fine. i.e. when using MONO jack it's using 2 12's. When using BOTH jacks each goes just to 1 speaker.. Unfortunately I rewired it once and forgot how to put it back. IF someone else doesn't post how, I can probably figure it out.. BUT I tried to get help once with this and seemed NOONE understood it!!! Even when I emailed Jenkins once about it. IT's not that tough!

ALso , it's VERY ez to rig it your way with a switch switching between 1 speaker or 2 , i.e. mono vs stereo .. PG 79 in the "Great tube amp and guitar mods ' book gives the diagram and it's simple.. BUT once again , this isn't the same as what you'd really like, and what my White Sands cab had above w/out the switch . SOMEONE must be able to draw us the diagram!!! :)

ERIC

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

no, you have to run 2 speaker cables from the head as well if you want to use both speakers. the wiring like this allows you too use only one speaker (on full or half power), use both (on full or half), or do something like you're trying to do , by using 2 heads, and only using one speaker for each head. just make sure the speakers have a high enough power rating to be used alone.

9. Killcrop

OK so if you wire a cab like the d13 (each speaker to it's own jack)
    Can you wire one more jack that includes both speakers together?

Option 1- One amp for each speaker (each speaker is 8ohms)

Option 2- One amp, both speakers with one cable. (16 ohms)

I don't want to use 2 cables for one amp because the ohm rating is too low. I'd rather run 16 ohms if I could when using one amp.

What do you guys think. If I wire the 3rd jack for both speakers as long as nothing is plugged into it everything should be fine right?

10. ericb

HI that has switches.. What Dave is asking about is doing that without switches.. Noone acknowledged my post , but I have a cabinet that did it with 2 jacks WITHOUT switches.. Mono/STereo without extra switches and w/out a 3rd jack ... You need switching jacks right? Anyone who can re-draw this diagram? That way Dave will be happy , and I can connect the extra wires on mine I undid about 5 years ago! ;)

ERIC

11. Killcrop

Yeah, somebody make me happy!:)

12. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

I second the HS2. I have one and it works great.

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

[​IMG]

jack 1 will give you 4 ohms (both in parallel)

plugging into jack 2 disconnects the shorting contact & gives you 2x 8 ohms

14. ericb

THAT's it RL! "Shorting jacks" is what I was thinking of instead of "Switching Jacks" .. They have the extra contact on them.. HOw come all the cabinet designers I've ever seen use switches (either toggles , or rockers in the case of my Engl mono/stereo cab) , instead of the shorting jacks? I would think the shorting jacks are safer and slightly cheaper than adding the extra switch , but my thinking must be wrong , if everyone uses the other way... THANKS, ERIC

15. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

remember this is for a 4ohm cab . a 16 ohm cab is a *whole* 'nother can of worms and needs switching , since it's in series .

16. ericb

GOOD POINT.. That brings me back to why I unwired mine.. I made it into a 16 ohm cab and then never could figure out how to rewire it back to the 4/8 without a SWITCH.... AHA...

ERIC

17. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

The reason I did the cab (first diagram) with the "extra" switch instead of just using the "short contact" is that the switch also disconnects the ground and totally isolates the 2 jacks . Does away with any possible phase/groundloop issues between 2 different amps.

18. myles111

myles111 Member

The tone bone unit works really well.

19. ericb

No ****, but that's not what he's asking about? Did you read the thread?

ERIC

20. groovdog

groovdog Member

I have the Radial Headbone and use it with my Marshall 2203 and KJL Dirty 30 through a Marshall 4X12. The Headbone works great, is $229.00 new, can't beat it. That's what I'd recommend.