2 in 1 OD pedal for humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitar-rookie, Feb 21, 2006.

1. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

Hi there,
    I'm using a PRS tremonti se with a roland cube-30. I play comtemporary christian music basically. Looking for an overdrive pedal, preferably the 2-1 ones. Looking towards:
    fulldrive 2
    gristle king
    HBE powerscreamer
    G2d cream tone

If u have any others please add to the list. looking for low gain ODs. Thanks.:angel

2. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Blackstone Mosfet
    Great pedal. Very natural sounding.

3. guitar-rookie

oops, forgot too state that my budget is around $210. the cheaper the better of course. thanks

4. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Hard to beat the Foxrox Zim for flexibility and killer tone, they can be had for 200ish used. You can get monsterous OD on one side and a tasty boost, light OD on the other or switch out cards and do all sorts of other combinations...

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

What is "Contemporary Christian"? Is that even a sound or does that just deal with the lyrical content? Seriously, the words may have Christian leanings, but that CAN'T be the best way to describe the guitar tones you're looking for. Any sounds you can relate that might make sense to both Christian and secular players?

Without hearing your answer and given your choice of amp, I'd say that the Blackstone would give you slight dirt and then more dirt (and sound good doing it). A used one will run well under your budget. They clean up extremely well with the guitar's volume knob, if that's a consideration for you.

I've also had a bunch of FDIIs, but I only liked them with tube amps that were cranked up. My current favorite is the TC Jauernig Gristle King but, once again, I haven't played it with a solid state amp.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'd say get a Tonebone Classic set for a lead tone and back your volume off for rhythm. I've never had the use for a 2 in 1 pedal because of this. I've gigged for years utilizing my guitars volume as my gain control. Plus I still believe all in all, the TB C to be the best overall sounding distortion pedal. Will also "tube up" your solid state amp. It's basically a tube preamp in a pedal and it's in your budget.

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

Foxrox Zim and HBE DosMos come to mind in addition to Blackstone already mentioned. The Powerscreamer looks pretty good too.

8. jpervin

jpervin Member

Did you listen to the soundclips of the Creamtone on the G2D website?

http://www.g2d.co.nz/sounds.php

Their Custom and Classic ODs don't sound half bad either.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

For a cheap pedal with a lot of OD flexibility (but no boost ability)
    MXR Doubleshot

For a pedal with OD and Boost
    Texas Two step (dependent OD and Boost) Jersey Girl Plusdriver (independent)
    Myself in the end I just bought two pedals ...

10. onemind

onemind Member

Try to find a used FDII that should take care of things nicely, if you don't need very high gain sounds (and you get lucky) you might find a Tim Pedal in your price range

11. billygoat

billygoat Member

Diamond J-Drive. Light or heavy, and the boost is available separately.

12. david eaton

david eaton Member

Have you thought of a Visual Sound Jeckel (sp?) and Hyde? One side is a tube screamer type of OD, the other has more gain, a heavier sort of sound. They can be found for about $140. I use the Visual Sound Rt. 66 which has the tube screamer type of OD as well as a compressor, it's quite nice sounding. I've also use a Sparkle Drive, which doesn't fit the 2-in-1 criteria, just thought I'd throw that in...

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Hello Christian Rocker! Cool that genre is still strong since most thought it would disappear. Truth is, a lot of Christian lead guitarists totally shred. I have the Roland 30 ( 6months ago) it's tweed or classic had enough gain for me! Remember dude, too gain means everyone else in a band situation will not hear you very well at all. That in mind, I found the tweed with the gain setting on 7-9 pretty sweet, or the classic with gain 6-9 ok, too. The most important thing on your amp is to keep your eq in check. The mids fairly high on most gain presets ESPECIALLY the modern high gain setting!

I don't know why you want a 2 n 1 but if you really have outgrown the Roland's drives, and you want only use a pedal for you driven sounds into the clean channel then I suggest a a TIM. Works well with non-tube or tube amplifiers. It has 4 possible setting for the ONE gain ONE channel utilizing two foot switches. Each setting has SO many deriative FINE tuning turning all the dials where you need them for exact tones. TIM works well with Marshalls, Fenders, Strat's, Gibsons or WHATEVER one has. TIM ALL OUT on 10 gets very high gained and with adjustable compression. TIM has a famous EQ. TIM be PRE-set with bypass, that is -switchA for cleaner tones, and boost switch B, with high gain tones. Don't bother with pedals that just work better or are designed to push old or cleaner sounding tubes amps into higher gain stages like: clean boost pedals, full tone (very specific to Fender amp IMO) etc.

Other great pedals that work well with non tube amps rhythm rock :are blue boy, crunch box, Maxon OD-9, BJF EGD or DRD, Tone Bone, BB pre amp, Menatone Fish factory, the affordable BOSS Od-3.
    Other great pedals for solos on non-tube amps: the FMD at stephensonamps.com only 100 bucks) Zendrive, BlueBoy,ToneBone, BJF DRD, EGD, BB pre older RAT pedals or older SansAmp, Eternity or a Klon, the affordable Boss od-3, sd-1 or DS-1 ( distortion).

Great pedals for rhythm or lead that are WORK WELL with any brand of tube amps ( one day you may want to try a tube amp), Keeley GL TMB (300USD), catalinbread poblano sagrado, any Xotic pedal (RC, AC or the BB pre), OF COURSE the TIM or timmy, THe DRD or EGM, SBEQ, Honey Bee, Maxon Od-9, OCD, Menatone Fish Factory, ZVEX super hardon, super duper 2 n 1, Klon, Eternity-by the way the cheap Od-3 sounds great on Tube amps, too.

The King daddy, dual channel tube pre amp, that can double as a tube pedal, in special studio quality that records as well as HIGH end amps as per the famous warehouse studios in Vancouver is the StageHog ( 600USD).

There is my last 8 years of research from countless hours of work, questions, emails, phone calls, meeting many pros summed up the best I can for you.

Good luck

Cary

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

wow Cary .. you are in Taiwan and .. you got to try all that gear? that is amazing!

15. guitar-rookie

hey guys, thx for the replies. sorry i haven't been more specific in my music tastes. for that matter i think it's more towards the pop/ light rock kind.
    As, georgeandleo said, i kind of outgrown the drives on my roland. i only find the high gain ones nice and i want sonething light to drive the clean channel.

on the side, how is the skreddy screwdriver and tim combo like?

16. astainback

astainback Member

I use the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde... I love it. You can get any kind of drive sound you want out of it.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'd like to find out too! B.T.W. Have you tried out the Menatone Top Boost in a Can? 6 knob version?

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I would recommend a Double Hotcake, but I have no idea how well it would work with a solid state amp. It can be set to be completely neutral, but I can only imagine a solid-state amp with a clean boost... That said, it's got some great flavors.

19. guitar-rookie

haha..gassing for a screwdriver, if only my parents will let me order from overseas, i'm from malaysia btw.

20. bowlingballbaby

bowlingballbaby Member

I love my Gristle King. Along with an Xotic AC Booster, I get it all: a tight, punchy, slightly compressed OD with the Gristle King, and a darker, thicker OD from the AC Booster. The clean boost on the Gristle King works great with either pedal. The Gristle King is very versatile, with 'phat boost' options, and a few other tone shaping toggles. Very good pedal for the money, and the two stage boost makes it like two pedals in one.