2 knob Strat wiring help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kstraine, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kstraine

kstraine Member

I have a two-knob strat that I like a lot because it gets the volume out of the way for palm muting, etc. So I have a master volume and master tone.

I want to add a blender pot but still retain the two-knob setup! I've looked into this a little bit but I'm not sure it's possible. Could I wire a concentric stacked pot (from the J-bass, I guess is what it says) for volume and tone and then wire a no-load pot for blending the neck pickup into whatever I have going? Would there be problems with the stacked J-pot in a strat?

Anyone done it before? Let me know.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The easiest way to accomplish this is to use the concentric pot for volume and tone and then add a blender pot. I don't believe anyone makes a concentric volume/blender pot. You could possibly modify a 250k/250k concentric pot but it would require cracking open the pot and modifying one leg but I've never tried it on a concentric pot.

Just FYI - A blender pot is not exactly the same as a volume/tone pot. It's actually the same as a no-load tone pot but without the detente (the click) at the end. No load means that when the pot is fully on, all resistance is bypassed and there is "no load" on the signal at all. You can modify any pot to be a no-load pot but it's not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Here's a step by step guide using a regular pot: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2121793-Modding-a-CTS-pot-to-no-load

3. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

i'm a big fan of planning around the desired outcome. i.e. i don't give any thought to what parts are available or what kind of pickguard is easy to obtain, or how it will look to move the holes for controls in a guitar, etc... i just brainstorm how i want it to sound and play - imagining using it IRL.

every good mod i've ever was born when i came out of the moment in a show/jam/shed to contend with a flaw in an instrument. either at that moment or later i come up with a solution to correct that flaw. i.e. i was playing music, not thinking about my instrument; then all of a sudden my instrument wouldn't do what i wanted and i said, "you know what i really need..."

every bad mod i've ever done was born when i was sitting around, dreaming up things to do with parts. usually "versatility" gets thrown around in my inner dialog. in the end i always ask myself, "what was the purpose of this again?"

IMO step one is to design exactly what you want without asking whether it's possible. it is possible, it just might require more money or expertise than you're willing to throw at it. or the compromises required might not be worth it; e.g. if you approach the guitar as an audio source with conventional signals and mixing, everything becomes instantly easy, but most people want to retain the antique, lo-fi nature of the guitar....

my advice is to draw on paper exactly how you want it to work before you even consider how you're going to accomplish it. if you get as far as, "i want this to happen when i turn this knob, this to happen when i move this switch here..." then the schemo practically draws itself. with schemo in hand you are ready to look for parts

P.S. if you're not experienced at sourcing parts eBay has a lot of oddball electronics that are handy for such projects. e.g. you might be looking for a linear, stacked concentric 250k pot, which is pretty odd. your local music store won't have it, but ebay will. i've found real oddball stacked pot combos on ebay when no big suppliers had anything close.