• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

2 MSR Prices for New Guitars

skeeterbuck

If the major players, Gibson,Fender, PRS, Martin, Taylor etc. offered their guitars with 2 MSR prices, one with a unlimited lifetime warranty and the other at about 15-20% less but didn't have a warranty which price would you chose and why?

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
No company in their right mind would offer that for two main reasons.

#1- Those manufacturers run off a profit margin of about 35% give or take a few points, which anyone in this industry will tell you, is not a lot. Volume is what pays the bills. They don't have any way to create a margin by discounting their product to the dealer, to then resell it. While it may move numbers initially....

#2- This would devalue the product, and ultimately affect the pricing of the resale market, which would further the gap between a new and used item, thus giving the end-user more of a reason to buy used. Ultimately putting the manufacturer out of business.

Moral of the story, buy new and support your local music stores.

skeeterbuck

Yea I understand that their not going to do it. My question is IF they did would you pay the additional amount for the peace of mind for having a warranty or pay the lesser amount and take the risk that you won't have any problems.

Tim Plains

I would not because I modify mine.
Not to mention there is no lifetime warranty outside the US. Gibson anyways.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I don't buy the extended warranty on anything when offered.

And as far as guitars go, I've never had anything go wrong that might require a warranty repair.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
After almost a year of ownership the paint over the glued seams on my ES-335 started to crack and delaminate from the guitar. It was almost as if the glue off-gassed because it hadn't finished curing. Anyway, Gibson made good on the warranty and gave me a new one. The guitar was stored under normal conditions and no irregularity was evident when I first got it.

Because of that situation, I'd never buy a new, or almost new, or new without tags, or new from an unauthorized dealer, guitar without the warranty. I see lots of people selling new guitars without warranties for thousands of dollars. You'd better discount that **** by at least 50% for me to bite. I work too hard for my money to take that risk.

Used guitars are a different story. After several years, there's not much that can go wrong that would be really expensive to fix. It's really only the first few years where you're at risk.

Trending Topics