2 New Hectic Watermelon Tunes

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by John Czajkowski, Mar 12, 2006.

1. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Hey Gearpageheads,

Here are my comments from this month's newsletter with some info about two new tunes you can now check out. I don't have it hooked up so they can be dowloaded though, so you have to hear them from the band website for now. You can hear them on either the site-wide music player or the music page player.

We just finished two wonderful preludes for our nearly-finished Hectic Watermelon CD. You can check them out as they are now streaming on the band website. The first, “Sacred Watershed” is an uplifting dreamscape bricolage of Americana and fusion themes with Darren’s drum spaceships and a remaining surprise being prepared by LA blues/rock virtuoso, Brian Kahanek. It functions as the introduction to the CD and a prelude to the post-Zappa metal brain-bender, ‘The Third Derivative of James Brown.” I recorded the main guitar with a 3-way set-up that is firing out magnetic pickups, peizo and MIDI. It's all patched through a brand spankin' new Soundsculpture Switchblade GL which is the most amazing piece of routing gear I have used. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the other guitar doing lead/fills is my 11- string fretless nylon.)

The second prelude, “Dreams of Concrete Jungles," is more harrowing and introduces the psychedelic fusion-metal piece, “Subterranean Rapid Transit.” It features the recently declassified home-made musical instrument, “The Elephantaphone.” For the organoligists out there, it is a membranaphone constructed from material purchased at Home Depot, Sav-on, Party Central, and parts from a marine bilge pump. This one goes out to Dr. Joseph Waters. You can’t buy this beast at Guitar Center, and it’s taller than a full-sized gorilla. Please step inside. Hear it roar!

For the CD cover, we are licensing a beautiful artwork by French artist, Bruno Malart, represented here in the United States by the David Goldman Agency in New York City. here

We are in still the process of arranging the details for some additional guests on the CD.

Lastly, get ready for Watermelons Attack! Yes, just when you thought it was safe to go out and have a beer and watch some normal music, the band of merry pranksters are out assaulting the gente! It pleases us to announce our fist gig in San Diego, Saturday, May 20th at Blind Melons in Pacific Beach. We are opening for Chris Poland’s OHM! Many thanks to another New Yawker, Stephen Bauer, for setting this up.

As always, thank you for your interest in our music. Comments and criticism are always welcome around here.

Stay tuned,

2. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Absolutely Stellar stuff John!
    I definitely hear Eric Johnson influenced voicings

HarryJ

3. Normster

Normster Member

Absolutely stunning, John! So much texture it's mindblowing. You're a frickin' musical genius!!!

4. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Sounds great,John!From another twisted family name here sincere congrats!!!

Vlad

5. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

Can hardly wait to get this disc.

You guy's got any plans to come east?

6. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Thanks for the positve feedback and interest in our stuff. We are dailing in some guests at the moment, so it should be ready to role late Spring-ish!

7. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey John, good stuff man! I remember you well from the Egnater forum (what happend to that place, btw?)! I just picked up an RM4 in addition to my RM100. Do you or anyone else you know have an RT2/50 that I could buy? :) Thanks man, and keep up the excellent work!

8. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Right on Guitar Guy! Unfortunately our little old Egnater Forum hosted by Jared is no mas. The new one started by Ned is http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php and people are starting to find it. You know, I have never layed my hand on the Randall power amp (I am just totally in love with Freyette's VHT power amps btw). I have seen 'em on eBay though.

9. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Haha I know, I remember your rack setup... STILL so jealous... the egnater M4 looks so badass too, bro! :) I was told by a lot of people on here (SteveVHT of course lol) that VHT power amps were the way to go.... but I dunno... not sure if I can justify spending 700-800 for the power amp section... or else I would just buy a new RT2/50! :( You stuff sounds great, can you explain what the benefit of using a VHT power amp would be versus using a different one? Not to lose the point of the thread, I am digging the Hectic Watermelon stuff John, you guys sound great (I'm jealous of your guitar tone!)!!!

10. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

...my rack is an outward reflection of my tortured and maniacal inner child.

:Devil

As for my feelings on power amps in general, they are an important part of the signal chain. They are like the china you serve up your tone on. Just as shaping EQ in the pre-amp stage effects how the gain reacts with the pickups, the presence and depth settings of good power amps move this process closer to the speaker end of the chain. By adding or reducing depth and presence at the power amp level you have the option of tailoring the tone without really changing the gain stage. As I mentioned the other day on another forum, I am finding myself recording with less and less bass and liking the results more and more. I like how the VHT gives you a wide range of options to get the tone really feeling right at the preamp stage, and then letting it hit the speakers in the most flattering and recordable way. Hell, it even sounds good with an elephantaphone! FYI, many people really like the Mesa stuff too, I am just not a familiar with it.

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

John this is over the top material.

Excellent writing and performance.

I don't know how you can keep all that stuff in your head much less so tight.

I am looking very forward to your CD. Come out east and I'll be sure to get as many folks as I can to attend your show.

Congrats to you and your band for realizing such hard work. :dude

12. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

:AOK Very cool music, i will buy this, THANKS :dude

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Kick ass... as usual!

14. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey John,

I just listened to those clips yet another time.... your tone on there is GREAT! I'm seriously thinking about saving up for a VHT Two/Fifty/Two in the near future and selling my RM100... :D What were you using for the lead tone on the 3rd Derivative song? Was it an egnater module? Sounds great bro!

15. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

GuitarGuy and Tonefreak,

Thanks for the nice comments comrades. GuitarGuy, those are from the Egnater ie4 ch2 for semi-clean Andy Summers-y stuff. (Now that I have the M4, I’ve switched that tone over into the hands of the VOX module which just cuts much more and is more percussive—which I like in the more boogaloo stuff). The distorted tones on "The Third Derivative of James Brown" are ALL the ie4 ch 3 in various settings. I really might go replay the buttrock parts with my M4 recto module…I don’t know. I actually like how it doesn’t really have that patented recto tone which appears on the next fusion-metal tune on the CD, “Subterranean Rapid Transit.” The later really needs something darker and heavier, but the ie4 is cool for “the Third Derivative of James Brown” since it is an overall goofier atmosphere. I'm glad you like it! I'm sure the RM 100 is a great head for the money.

16. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Sounds fantastic, John. How do I get a copy of the CD?

Mike

17. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Mike,

I'm hoping to have them ready to roll by late Spring. Please just check with the band website as to the distribution when this happens. Your desire to help aid the HWM debt relief program is inspiring. We thank you in advance!