2 new members of the family...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DK207, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DK207

DK207 Member

One is red and the other orange! They sound incredible. The cables are temp until I get my Area51 kit and some more George L plugs....couldn't wait until then to take the pic! One AM TS9/808 got booted, and the OD-9/silver is in trouble (until I get my bigger board).
    [​IMG]

:JAM

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I've been wanting to try/buy the Hot Silicon for some time. Be sure to give us a review when you have the time. Nice set up.

3. DK207

DK207 Member

OK, so here's the skinny on the Hot Silicon Fuzz. First off, I am a doctor, not a pedal builder or electrical engineer so take my opinions and descriptions with a grain of salt. I was on call this week and finally got some time to play with the new fuzz. I must say, I love this thing!!!! It is extremenly versatile and can easily cover mild/mellow fuzz to nasty/snarling tones. If you listen to the clips on the Foxrox site, that is pretty much the tone with the fuzz control cranked (which is where I leave it parked). I moved the fuzz after my AM OD-9/silver and before my Zim and found for me, this is the best placement. I can get very Hendrix-ish tones with the FUzz alone (ala Purple Haze etc) but can grab some more sustain and bite by kicking on my OD-9/silver set as clean boost (drive almost all the way down and volume 12:00). The fuzz sounds great with the Comprossor on or off, and I don't notice a huge difference wither way except for the added sustain with the comp.

I haven't tried it with my wah yet, as I am still awaiting my Area51 kit. I'll let you know how it behaves with that as soon as I get it. There are instructions with the Hot Silicon on how to tweak the trimmer to make it behave with wahs w/ or w/o the retrofit kit (which at this point I don't have). Maybe honeymoon period, but I don't think that the Hot Silicon is going anywhere. Same goes for the Zim. I must also say, I have never tried Germanium fuzz pedals (or any other fuzz pedals for that matter) so I can't really compare. If people want, I'll put together a clip sometime this weekend if someone can host it for me.

OK, off to bed, I've been up for 36 hours or so at this point, so I'm going to start to ramble!

Rawk on
    :RoCkIn

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

Nice.

We've got similar tone options man. I'm mainly playing my Fender US Deluxe V-Neck/maple right now through my Fender Blues Deluxe. I have been wanting to put an Area-51 tremolo on that...I'm still a little apprehensive though. Can you post clips of it when you get it on? I'd love to hear that Fuzz too. I have been very pleased with the Keeley TR-2 so it's been hanging around as my latest tremolo. My fuzz needs are being met at the moment with the MJM London Fuzz, sometimes with the MJM Blues Devil pushing it. My next pedal was going to be the Mojo Vibe but an old wild hair has sprung and I am going to pick up a Micro Synth if you can believe it. Anyway, the RT-20 has been impressing me as of late.

5. DK207

DK207 Member

The area51 kit I'm waiting on is the wah, not tremolo. I have thought of checking out the trem someday, though.

If you are interested, I may have to sell the fuzz due to underestimating my property tax this year.:jo
    I got a pretty good deal on it and would ask the same price +shipping. It is mint/like new, #16. Drop me a line if you are interested, otherwise I'll put it in the emporium and/or ebay.

-Dan

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'd love to pick it up, but I am planning a trip to NYC with the Mrs. for our 10 year anni. I already have short list of must buys and even have a pedal on the way right now. I'll have to catch one another time, sorry to hear you have to sell it.

7. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Bones? Bones McCoy?

:D

8. drolling

drolling Member

He's dead, Jim.. ah, I mean, Tom...

9. DK207

DK207 Member

Haha, I was going to put Damn it Jim...I'm a doctor not a pedal builder but thought I'd be seen as more of a geek than I am now!! Good call.:JAM

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I am wondering how a CC2 with a hot silicon card differs from the Hot Silicon? Why isn't a hot silicon card offered for the Zim?

11. DK207

DK207 Member

As I understand it, the Hot Silicon is the same as the silicon CC2 card, and I think fuzz cards are in the works for the Zim (check out the website where it has the cards, there are a few like Muff and Octave cards that have not been released yet). It seems like these things should be interchangeable between units in theory?

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Zim and had the CC2 with a silicon card. I was a little disappointed in the CC2 fuzz-didn't clean up as well or sound as sweet as my NKT Fuzzface. The Zim OTOH is in my top 3 list of overdrives at this point (along with the Klon and the Timmy).

13. RickB

RickB Member

Dave Fox had posted this over at HC a while back. You can search over there for "Hot Silicon" and find some threads he talked about it in.

(quote) You can't put a CC2 FuzzCard in a ZIM because they're not the same kind of card. Different size, pinout, and the front panel pots are all different. There will be a fuzz card for ZIM, but it won't be the same as this one. (/quote)

I read that as the fuzz card he will have for the Zim will not give you the same sounds as the actual Hot Silicon pedal. Just thought I'd pass that along.

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Maybe you can help me. Is it normal to have green urine? I find that almost every March 17 and 18th I experience this phenomenon. It's not painful or anything. I don't think there's blood or puss. But it's green as grass.

:confused:

15. DK207

DK207 Member

It's from all the green beer, nothing to worry about!!