2 NOS Westinghouse England 12AX7

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just got these off e-bay for 30$ What do you guys make of them. Got to be as good as any 15 dollar new production right?

[​IMG]

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

The pins on the left one look bent so its not NOS.

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

They look like EIs to me.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Wouldn't they possibly have a Mullard like etched code on them if they were England?

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well maybe they are ANOS. lol! Guess I'll find out more in a week or so,,,,

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

They are without a doubt EI's.Just look at the smooth plates.I've found a similar one once...pale blue box,yellow lettering says England.

Ted

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I agree. I examined the pic against an old Ei ive got and they are identical. Surprized I didnt notice earlier.Well they were only 15 $ a piece so no biggie I guess....

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im still puzzled by these. They look identical to Ei but have etch codes on them! They are totally non microphonic by Ei standards too. Cant find the codes at 'Tube Classics" site. top row reads 2 A 1 The bottom row reads ? 7 J Never saw an Ei with etch codes.Also the bottom of the Westinghouse tube has different construction than Ei. It uses thin bars in 3 places the Ei's dont. Heres a crappy pic but you can make out the bar at least.[​IMG]

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Old Ei had Philips-style etch codes. The manufacturer code is like a circle with a dot in it, but the bottom of the circle is shaved off - if that makes any sense to you. Does that fit your description (the "?" part of the code)?

- T

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Absolutely. Yes,OK then, they ARE Ei as that is the first mark I couldnt figure out what it was. Funny they are the quietest Ei Ive ever tried! Both of them are dead quite with a tap test in the V-1 position. On the other hand virtually all my new Ei AND old production Ei's are fairly to VERY microphonic. If I see any other Ei marked made in England or GT Britain I'll buy them. Like I recently noticed the bottom constuction is different perhaps that helps the microphonics? At any rate they are THE best Ei's Ive found bar none.

11. Timbre Wolf

I think they were made in the '70s. Those old Ei tubes are very nice. Their EL84 are very good, too.

- T

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    "Westinghouse" + "England" is almost always = Communist block.

Anyone can print brands and countries of origins on tubes. Ebay is full of stuff like this.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Agreed. However they are simply the best Ei Ive found to date as far as microphonics go. Maybe a fluke but I wish I had more of them.(I have a bunch of GE branded and Ei branded but they are almost unuseable for the most part in the V-1 due to microphonics)

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

So I got a better pic of the bases of both the "Westinghouse" Ei and the GE branded Ei. I can only assume one was made earlier. The one on the left with the metal strip inside is the Westinghouse branded Ei. I own two of them and both are much less microphonic than all my other Ei's[​IMG]

15. Timbre Wolf

Do those two tubes have the same type codes etched on them? I think you said one had 2 A 1 on the top line?

- T

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The "westinghouse" on the left says Top line: 2 A 1 Bottom line :upsidedown horseshoe, 7 J The GE branded are unreadable

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Clarification-They both haver the same "type" codes yes. The GE's are unreadable. I initially thought you asked if they had the same codes. My mistake.

18. Timbre Wolf

I'm not really following you on this, now. Are there "GE"-marked Ei tubes that have unreadable type codes? Or are the "GE"-marked tubes something different? What I wondered was, are all the type codes, on all the tubes you're discussing, the same?

Were those the "GE"-marked tubes, on the right, in your photo?

:confused:

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

1)Are there "GE"-marked Ei tubes that have unreadable type codes?

Yes,unreadable Ei style etch codes

2)Or are the "GE"-marked tubes something different?

No,just poorly etched Ei markings. Also the GE's are plainly silkscreened "made in Yugoslavia"

3)What I wondered was, are all the type codes, on all the tubes you're discussing, the same?

They are the same "style"-Ei etch codes. Seriously doubt they are the same the exact same codes however as stated the Ge are unreadable(messy)

4)Were those the "GE"-marked tubes, on the right, in your photo?

Yes the GE branded Ei is on the right. The Westinghouse branded is on the left.

20. Timbre Wolf

Okay, I guess what I was getting at was that the differently-constructed, GE-marked example may have been demarcated as a variant version. In other words, the upper "type" etch code may be 2 A 2 instead of 2 A 1 (similar to how short-plate Mullard 12AX7A went from I61 to I63).

- T