2 OD Pedals that simply JUST WORK!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nater9, Mar 10, 2015.

1. nater9

nater9 Member

This is going to be a "no sh*t sherlock" post and will probably be on page 4 in a couple hours... but I've been through a good hand full of OD pedals in the last 6 months. I had ditched my big channel switching, midi controllable, multi-effects in the loop type of rig for a simple combo amp and pedals rig.

Here's a list of what I've been through lately... And I still have most of these pedals because they are all great pedals for what they do (Actually the Honey Bee is back on my board for another OD flavor).

RC Booster
    EP Booster
    BB Preamp
    Catalinbread 5F6
    Catalinbread Formula 5
    Bearfoot Honey Bee
    TS-10 (Monte Allum mod)
    Fulldrive 2
    Jetter GS124
    Rocket Chicken Soup

But, the two pedals that just seem to work and work well are the Timmy and the Rocket Archer. I can't say enough about how well these pedals work with my rig, which is a tele into a blackface Princeton Reverb. The Timmy has a perfect amount of slight grit and EQ, then kick in the Archer to hit the Timmy with a little mid boost and it's the perfect amount of grit/gain/sustain for what I play. Very dynamic and can cover everything from country, blues and rock. Every other pedal seems to impart too much of it's own character on my base tone, which sounded good in some aspects, but not what I was looking for as my primary flavors of OD. And actually, I don't use the Archer on it's own, I only use it to boost the Timmy.

I know this is pretty old news to everyone, but I feel like I finally found the right combination of 2 OD pedals for stacking to turn my Princeton into a 3 channel amp.

That's all. :wave

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Timmy and the Archer ( independently ) work with ANY pedal. They both KILL into a PR.

They are both known for this, and this extra attribute is what gives you some killer mid to high gain choices.

My favorite stack combos are with Archer, Fairfield Barbershop, and a DLS MK3. Ive owned over a hundred OD's over the years.. too many to remember.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy and the HBOD is another great, classic TGP stack.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yep. The HBOD into either the Timmy or the Archer is amazing.

5. nater9

nater9 Member

That's actually my exact line up now, but I have Archer > Timmy > HBOD. However, I haven't experimented as much with the order of the HBOD. I have them set Archer (lowest gain), Timmy (slighty more gain), HBOD (most gain). But, I haven't tried the HBOD in front of the Archer or Timmy.

I like this phrase "classic TGP stack". I guess there is some truth to the madness that ensues here...

6. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I was checking out some Archer vids, was surprised at how gainy it seemed. I thought it was supposed to be a low-gain "more amp" type pedal, but it seemed like a straight-up overdrive from what I saw? Sounded great, though...

7. nater9

nater9 Member

From my experience it excels at the "more amp" type and not as much as a straight OD. Like I said, I'm only using it to boost the Timmy. It gets a bit fizzy on the top if you crank the gain too much. Just my experience, but I play a pretty bright tele into a blackface PR also set fairly bright.

8. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

So you guys that stack three pedals, what happens live when you have to change from dirty to a clean chorusy sound : Kick all three ODs OFF, and then click ON the chorus (and maybe a comp)? Way too much work for me!

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Chorus sucks. ;)

A looper makes all that easy peezy, btw.

I rarely use 3 at one time.. I was just listing the three I have to choose from, and one of them is almost always low gain and not too dirty.
    A quick twist of your guitars vol knob and with a dynamic od you are very close to clean..

10. nater9

nater9 Member

I probably wouldn't have three on at once but in your example I would roll back my guitar volume while kicking on the chorus, then quickly turn off the OD pedals while rolling my volume back up. However that's too much room for error, which is why I used to have a midi switching rig for those drastic tone changes. Luckily I don't play U2 songs anymore do I don't need the tricky switching capabilities.

11. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

Nater9 try putting the low gain pedal in the middle. High gain first. Medium gain third. See how that works for you.

Oxeneye, I usually don't run all three overdrives at once. I do run a compressor before the OD pedals, which is almost always on. I also use a six loop switcher to switch between OD and chorusy cleanish tones. Lots of times my low gain OD stays on and I just pick lighter and roll the guitar volume back a bit to clean up. Lots of strategies to get the job done.

12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I really like my Blues King into a Timmy and a Timmy into a Scarlett Love.

13. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

OCD into Timmy.