2 PC's, 1 FirePod. Is there a way to connect them?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Mar 12, 2008.

1. straticus

straticus Member

Hi,

I have two PC's. One is a dedicated audio / video DAW that is not connected to the net. The other one is for everything else. I want to use the same firewire interface (PreSonus FirePod) for the audio output for both computers. I wouldn't be running both computers at the same time. But the constant unplugging of one PC from the FirePod and replugging of the other is getting bothersome, not to mention the wear and tear on the firewire connection.

So, is there a box or switch that I could plug both PC's into and then go from that box into the FirePod?

Thanks for any advice.........or any other ideas.
    BC

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I thought the Firepod had dual Firewire outputs?

3. straticus

straticus Member

Nope. It has one FW input for a PC and one input for another FirePod if you want to link two FirePods together.

I contacted PreSonus and asked them if it was ok to plug the second PC into the other firewire connection and they said no, it could harm the FP.

4. vladshap

vladshap Member

Hmm, i don't think that it would matter which one you use. I used to have a firepod, and Either ports worked just fine when connected to pc. Eventually 1 of the ports broke, so i just used the other. I think you should be fine.

5. straticus

straticus Member

Yea, I think you're right.

I just checked and the inputs are labled firewire 1 and 2. It's not like they're labled "1 for computer" and "2 for another Firepod". I wonder why the guy at Presonus said I could damage the firepod by connecting two computers. I would only have one PC running at any one time.

6. vladshap

vladshap Member

Yeah, as long as you don't turn on both pc's on at the same time, you should be just fine, otherwise the firepod might get confused to which it needs to connect to.

7. dreamryche

dreamryche Member

You will be fine as long as you're careful to have only one PC on at a time. Most FW devices have dual ports for daisy-chaining other devices. I've had two of my Macs connected to one FW drive before (only one powered on at a time, of course) and had no issues.