• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

2 pickup 50's Hardtail Strat

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
Evidently Bill didn't like his Strat with 3 pickups.
I would guess he made this guard as he later became very highly regarded building RC Planes.
At one point it was Black, I'm not sure if before or after being White.
I have message out to him for info. Hopefully he gets it and replies.
The band was Neill Coffin & The Pallbearers.

OGBW 2 pickup Strat 1960s.jpg

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Great photo, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe he liked the sound of a Tele (and probably played one given it preceded the Strat), but preferred the body shape and contours of the Stratocaster.

e???

Maybe he liked the sound of a Tele (and probably played one given it preceded the Strat), but preferred the body shape and contours of the Stratocaster.

Hell yes, been wanting something like that for years. Bet that was one great stratocaster

moehuh

Would be really interesting to know how the guitar was wired!

On the picture the switch is in the middle, indicating it was used often. Could be a parallel wiring like in a modern Tele or served as a mute position (middle pickup disconnected, but rest of the wiring original).
After the two-pickup Esquire wiring which had a blend pot on the bridge pickup, the parallel wiring was not featured until much much later. So my guess is mute. No idea when people started using the "in between positions".

On a side-note: I think the middle pickup sounds phenomenal on a hardtail Start ;-)

Trending Topics