• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

2 pickup strat?

Felixun1

Okay, I admit it, I'm goofy and like to try weird stuff. That said, I've always thought the bridge pickups on strats sound a little thin. I once had a duncan bucker in a strat bridge and could split the coils to use just the inner (forward) coil, and just that slight difference seemed enormormous, much fatter.

So, I was thinking, my strat is routed for a bridge humbucker anyway, why not mount a good single coil forward in the bridge route, add a neck single coil and a blender pot, who needs a middle pickup?

Just wondered if anyone else has tried this, probably not, and I do not fear ridicule.

Your thoughts, please.

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
As I mentioned in another thread, I used the middle pickup on Strat 90% of the time for the first umpteen year I played a Strat. I believe Trower uses mostly middle. But if you don't think you'll use I suppose you could remove it and cover the hole with a sticker or fill it with wads of cotton. You could then rewire it to have a bridge/neck setting.

If you find the standard strat bridge pup a little thin you could try replacing it with something hotter. That would tend to knock a bit off the top and beef up the middle a little. I wonder if that wasn't what you were doing with the half a Duncan HB that you liked. IOW, the fact that it was closer to the neck may have had little to do with it.

m-m-m

In the past I removed the middle pickup from my MIM strat, because I didn't like the sound. Eventually I put a good pickup there and liked the position much better.

Re-thin sounding bridge pickup - I would get a new pickup instead of trying to change the position. I use a Dimarzio Fast Trak 2 in the bridge position and I like it. More output, humbcking, more bass, but somehow still seems to sound slightly stratty at times. Depends on how you set the amp.

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
In the 70's Fender made the Lead II. A strat style body with 2 single coils pups.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I've always liked the tones from a Duosonic which has the bridge pickup non slanted and the neck pickup closer toward the bridge.
I think it's a great idea.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
There's a member on that other forum that has a strat that he customized to just two pickups.

Last edited:

straycat113

Nice job on that cratz. I basically do the something as I remove the volume knob as in the picture above and sink the middle pup all the way down.

chlorinemist

Strat lovers will preach the virtues of phase cancellation/comb filtering and the signature strat "quack" till the end of time. But it's merely a preference. Personally I can't stand the strat "quack"... I get that it's a classic fender sound but to me it sounds a bit old and overused.

Regardless, I'm personally contemplating an HH-H-HX (lol) build atm. Cycfi Quad XR (Dual active sidewinders (slim humbucker with two sets out of pole pieces on the sides, rather than on top) side-by-side, forming a "quad" humbucker in the neck)

a Duo XR in the middle

and a Nu-XR combo (mono sidewinder on one side, lo-z hexaphonic pu on the other) in the bridge position.

A recipe for a mighty studio tool I suspect :)

Strat lovers will preach the virtues of phase cancellation/comb filtering and the signature strat "quack" till the end of time. But it's merely a preference. Personally I can't stand the strat "quack"... I get that it's a classic fender sound but to me it sounds a bit old and overused.

Regardless, I'm personally contemplating an HH-H-HX (lol) build atm. Cycfi Quad XR (Dual active sidewinders (slim humbucker with two sets out of pole pieces on the sides, rather than on top) side-by-side, forming a "quad" humbucker in the neck)

a Duo XR in the middle

and a Nu-XR combo (mono sidewinder on one side, lo-z hexaphonic pu on the other) in the bridge position.

A recipe for a mighty studio tool I suspect :)
Now these look like some very interesting pickups that are well worth investigating, it looks like I will be ordering more pickups while I'm trying to get rid of a couple of dozen ones that I will never use, and are just taking up and wasting space at my place.

Peavey went yet one step farther
Nigel Tufnel took it a lot further than that by a very very long shot, have you seen his red and sunflower yellow signature guitar with the dozen or so pickups, I have no idea who made it for him, but it is just both overkill and over the top to the max, while still looking cool.

chlorinemist

Now these look like some very interesting pickups that are well worth investigating, it looks like I will be ordering more pickups while I'm trying to get rid of a couple of dozen ones that I will never use, and are just taking up and wasting space at my place.
If you're anything like me, you might be in luck. My tone journey ended with Cycfi... They are everything I could possibly want in a pickup. Loaded all my guitars with their electronics and don't anticipate ever worrying about that part of the tone equation ever again. Guitars with other pickups just aren't the same anymore to me. They feel obsolete...

#NotAPaidAdvertisement #MajorFanboy

If you're anything like me, you might be in luck. My tone journey ended with Cycfi... They are everything I could possibly want in a pickup. Loaded all my guitars with their electronics and don't anticipate ever worrying about that part of the tone equation ever again. Guitars with other pickups just aren't the same anymore to me. They feel obsolete...

#NotAPaidAdvertisement #MajorFanboy
I'm definitely going to give them a try, they really have sparked my curiosity.

chlorinemist

So we're all going to pretend a 5 year old thread just got resurrected and continue on like nothing happened? Ok then.
Start a thread on a previously discussed topic, people tell you to use the search function. Resurrect a thread, people tell you you shouldve started a new thread...

Clearly theres still interest in the topic no? And the thread already had good info. I was thinking about 2 pickup strats, i used google, + here we are

Last edited:

Trending Topics