2 post Trem with vintage string spacing?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by eugewong, Mar 7, 2015.

1. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Does any such trem exist?

In short, I'm looking to replace a Wilkinson 2-post trem to drop in with a wider / vintage string spacing.

Thanks!

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What width are you looking for?

3. JPenn

JPenn Member

i'm not sure i've ever seen a 2 post trem with anything wider than 2 1/8" spacing.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

fender used to make one for a specific custom shop model, american standard posts and straight-up USA vintage bent saddles for the 2 7/32" spacing.

i have a hard time recommending the idea though; most american standards have somewhat rolled neck edges if not actually narrower necks, and the E strings tend to fall off the edges.

much better is the new american standard bridge, the same concept and very well done, but with the narrower modern string spacing.

(put it this way, the last time i saw one of those custom shop models was when it came in to have the very bridge the OP is asking about swapped for the american standard version for just this reason!)

5. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Figures it would be more complicated than what was in my head...

I play a lot with my fingers and am exploring some techniques where the wider string spacing helps, thought I could get get the wider string spacing on one of my current guitars.

Thanks for the help!