2 Questions - 1 for each hand

Bunther

Silver Supporting Member
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years. I'm a very good rhythm player, but just ok at lead. I'm trying to get better in my golden years. I'd like to ask two technique questions - one for each hand.

Picking (right-hand) question: If I am playing with an angled pick attack would my right wrist be somewhat rotated counter-clockwise or clockwise (or something else)? It seems that a slight counter-clockwise rotation keeps the heel of my palm in a better position to deaden the lower strings.

Fretting (left-hand) question: I believe I am a medium pressure player. However, I can see indentations in the frets of a new guitar after 12 months. I am a bender, and bending and holding the bend seem to require more pressure. How much pressure is best, and how do I find what that feels like?

Thank you,
Bunther

Last edited:

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
RH—what you are doing is fine. I'm pretty open minded about what works regarding angle and placement. I try to work with a student's inclinations if it seems to hold promise for creating a great sound, though often it doesn't. I look and listen for lack of control and problem solve from there.

LH—Bending can require more pressure, however you could certainly be overdoing it. Just like with chording, you have to watch for over-efforting.

hhawkins

Pick whatever way feels comortable to you. To practice bends, and the amount of strength/pressure needed to bend a note, pick a note on the guitar, move down a tone (2 frets) and bend up to that same note (you originally picked) to see how accurate you can recreate the pitch. Hope that makes sense.

DNW

Bending shouldn't really require any more downward pressure on the string/fret than just fretting without a bend. The extra force should be just the upward/downward movement for the bend. Assuming the string's already against the fret and sounding cleanly, pressing down any harder behind the fret isn't going to do anything except maybe throw it slightly out of tune.

I'd say the "best" amount of pressure is the absolute minimum you can get away with. Obviously if notes aren't sounding properly you need to press a bit harder, but once you've got the note sounding (which really shouldn't take that much pressure) anything beyond that is just a waste of energy.

Trending Topics