2 questions, guitar size and custom assemblies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MudPies, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MudPies

MudPies Member

I have a Fernandes strat copy guitar. My girl wants to get me a prewired pickguard assembly for our 3 year anniversary. I guess I really have 3 questions.

Do I need to take the guitar's size/scale into consideration? Will any "strat" assembly fit?

I haven't taken the existing pickguard off since it's my main playing guitar. Is it just routed for single coils or is it wide open with room for full sized humbuckers?

Can someone please recommend someone who does custom wired and switched assemblies?

Thank you in advance.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I don't think they would necessarily fit.

3. MudPies

MudPies Member

that's what I was afraid of.

So how does this work. Is there someone out there that does custom jobs? Every one I find doesn't mention sizing at all.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

For a start, you can order a blank pickguard, no mounting holes, pickup routes or control holes. See how the blank fits and start from there.

Allparts or Warmoth both sell blank strat pickguards in various colours and materials.

You can also remove the pickguard and everything on it, bring it with you and shop around to compare the size and fit.

One other option would be to take the guitar to a "competent" tech and have the tech make the whole thing from scratch.

5. MudPies

MudPies Member

Thanks.
    I don't have the experience or tools to do it myself yet. Looks like my best option is to get one made from scratch since I want a couple very specific things done to it.