2-stage OCD...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brent, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Listen, that's nothing to have a hard time confessing to. The EchoCzar is clearly on another level all together.
    I would consider letting my DM-3 go for a Diamond Memory Lane as well. I just havent because i can't seem to justify the cost at the moment. But all things considered..the DM-3 has served me VERY well :)

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Did someone say clips?

I used the SCOD for the solo on this tune. This is a video from a gig back in September. The solo starts around 3:05 in... Just so you know, the file is huge (48mb).

3. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Supporting Member

cool clips michael. good tones. thanks for posting!

stoney - yeah, the EC is on another level... I was cursed to "needing" it after spending some time with one about 7 months ago... So I hocked some of my other stuff, prepaid for my order, and any day now I should finally have one. Honestly, for me it's the final frontier of analog delays... but in hindsight, the DM-3 is a great pedal and I was perfectly happy with that before I experienced the EchoCzar...

Great thing about the DM-3 is that it's a little more hi-fi analog delay than the usual... almost has some of the clarity of digital units thrown in, but in a very good, warm, analog way.

I've been doing several DIY projects lately, so I think I might build one of the DD-80 delays from www.byoc.com for fun sometime in the near future. If I do, I kinda wish I still had my DM-3 to compare it to, as they're in a similar ballpark price-wise.

Anyways, sorry to hi-jack the Double-D thread folks...

4. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I currently use a Les Paul style solidbody(Heritage H150 Classic w/Seth Lovers) and a '65 Twin Reissue. I like the OCD for chords just fine. It adds a squishy quality that I enjoy feeling and hearing. It's fun to use for barre and open chords. I'm not in the frame of mind to go all gaga over it like some folks but I do like it for this application.

I notice a harsh buzz when playing leads through the OCD though. The only way to cut the buzz is to set the Tone knob below 9:00 but that kills my tone completely. (For leads, the Timmy is far better for me.)

The Double D looks like a great idea in a poor choice of housing. I'm sure I'd hit the Tone knob at every stomp. I would absolutely buy one if the housing gets more reasonable in size. It'd be great to be able to have one setup in each toggle switch setting.

5. G'OlPeachPhan

Quick update: The SCOD is here, and after 2 hours with it, I concur that it's EVERYTHING you guys have said it is. My distortion pedal search is OVER.

Stoney & michael - thanks mucho for your help guys! Very appreciated.

For anyone who cares to read more about my impressions of the SCOD, I wrote considerably more on this topic at the Dr. Z forum if you CLICK HERE

6. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Dude, that makes me really happy! I hate when i recommend something to someone and it doesn't work out..i always feel guilty. :p

I love the SCOD.. im really glad its working out well for you. Plus, I think Nicholas is a really good builder and I hope he does well.

Congrats..and enjoy it!

:D

7. G'OlPeachPhan

Stoney -

Man, this is pedal #2 now where you've been right on the money... The DM-3 and now the SCOD. In both cases, you ended personal searches that extended over several YEARS, and several hundred dollars (margins lost on gear when buying/selling).

Man, I feel like I should send you a check or something, or hire you as a tonal consultant guru! Please accept a very sincere "thank you" at the least... Actually man, I tell you what... I've got something for you if you want it... dead serious. Gonna send you a PM or an e-mail or something. Give me a few minutes.

8. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

For those that wanted some clips.. here's a tune from my bands next CD. The SCOD doesn't really kick in till around 3:20..and it goes through till the end. It's most previlent during the outro.. im playing all the rhythm parts and the hook. Hope this helps...

Forgetful

Oh and in case anyone is curious as to what gear is used..
    its a Gibson Les Paul with Duncan 59's going into a Dr. Z MAZ 38 SR 2x10 Combo
    The intro and verses are just the LP into the MAZ with a Boss DM-3
    The pre-chorus riff is an original Guv'nor and the chorus adds a Keeley Katana on top of that

The whole outro riffage the SCOD

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Cool, I'm glad it worked out for ya! :dude