2 Thornbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone,50's style wiring, 3 way BLADE switch? Help!

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
Thread title says it all.Can anyone send me a schematic for said design?

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Here's the 'paint by numbers' way.

Start with this diagram and ignore the push/pull pot switches. The pickup wires that go to them should be twisted together and taped off.

2H_3B_1VppSPLn_1TppSPLb.jpg

Then make the following changes to the diagram with regards to how the tone pot is wired:
  1. Remove/eliminate the wire between the volume and tone pot
  2. Move the tone cap lead from the middle to the left terminal of the tone pot,
  3. Move the other tone pot lead from the pot case to the middle lug of the volume pot
  4. Connect the middle lug of the tone pot to ground.

It should look like this:
50s-Wiring.png

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member

Start with this diagram and ignore the push/pull pot switches. The pickup wires that go to them should be twisted together and taped off.

Then make the following changes to the diagram with regards to how the tone pot is wired:
  3. Move the other tone pot lead from the pot case to the middle lug of the volume pot

50s-Wiring.png
Huge thanks! Exactly what I needed! Cheers

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member

50s-Wiring.png
This is the switch I am working with. Any difference?
www.amazon.com/KAISH-Guitar-Pickup-Selector-Plastic/dp/B07K67HRDN?th=1

Jerry

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have a multi-meter? It is similar. The middle two tabs are the output. You might need to connect the hot wire of
each pickup to the remaining three tabs on each side. Its been a while since I wired one of those switches.

testing1two

I'm really not a fan of these budget switches that attempt to "build a better mousetrap" when the CRL switch works great and will last decades. But one size doesn't necessarily fit all so, in the name of progress, I did a quick search and found a blog post from someone who installed the KAISH switch and did a good job of explaining & diagramming its function.

walterw

Huge thanks! Exactly what I needed! Cheers
it's even simpler than that;

just get a regular tele diagram, and wire the jumper between volume and tone to the volume pot's middle lug. that's the entire difference between modern and '50s wiring, you don't need to change the wiring on the tone pot itself at all.

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys,I wired it up exactly like the article showed, and it is dead as a hammer, not a single sound coming out of anything...at all! Thoughts?

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
I’m using that exact Kaish Heavy Duty switch in the link above. It’s the only one that fits the small cavity I have for this build.

testing1two

Did you run a ground wire from the case of the switch to the back of the volume pot? The odd thing about that diagram is that it uses the switch case to ground the pickup leads. I would rather solder those leads to the back of the volume pot and run a separate wire from the back of the volume pot to ground the switch casing.

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
I got it licked guys. The volume Pot and the Tone pot were toast. I put them on my meter and nothing. Grabbed a couple Bourns 500k and dropped em in. Voila! Drips tone! Thanks for the wiring helps guys.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom