2 volume strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by murphj1, Apr 23, 2008.

1. murphj1

murphj1 Supporting Member

I do alot of switching between the bridge and neck pickup of my strat. Neck pickup sounds best wide open bridge needs rolled back a touch. So I'm thinking why not 2 volumes 1 master tone.

Has anybody here tried this. Or know where I can find a diagram.

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

It's an interesting idea and I'm sure somebody's done it.

Adjusting pickup height makes a big difference and works for me. My neck pup is very low, just above flush with the guard. The middle pup is only slightly higher, and the bridge pup very high. I have tone 1 wired to neck/middle and tone 2 to bridge. This tone arrangement helps to balance things a bit. I also use a neck pup in the bridge.

3. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Member

Here are two simple drawings.

Leave the master volume as-is, move the jumper from the lower tone pot to the mid pup's lug on the 5-way to one of the common lugs (and change the as shown cap if needed). Do NOT remove the center pot - I just omitted it from this drawing for clarity:

[​IMG]

Move the bridge pup's hot lead to the center pot, and rewire it as a volume with the output going back to the 5-way:

[​IMG]

4. murphj1

murphj1 Supporting Member

Thanks, I had a diagam drawn up. But I like this better!

5. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Andy Timmons uses the 2 volume pot idea. Both of his Ibanez models (the old AT100 and the newer AT300) have a master volume and a separate neck/middle pickup volume. A wiring diagram is available here:
    http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx
    Enter Guitar/2007/AT300 in the drop-down boxes to get to the diagram.
    Bert