2 way truss rod installation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Biz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Biz

Biz Guest

Hoping someone with a little insight can help me. I'm installing the 2 way truss rod from the bottom or back of the neck. Is there a wrong way? The rod i'm using is this one: http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

I'm not a physic's major, but it seems if it will go both ways, then there is nothing wrong with placing the round stock towards the fret board, contradicting every picture i've seen. Seems logical for a top install to use the flat stock up for gluing considerations, but what about from underneath?

The reason i would want to do this is to keep the adjustment piece closer to the top because of totally bizarre shape of the head and string lock of this bass. The neck setup would require removal of the string lock to adjust it and thats not practical. The tuners are on the bridge giving way to an unusual head stock.

Allied Luthiers, LMI and StewMac have all answered to keep the adjustment side away from fret board...but when asked why? They say just cause.......

This is a very expensive project with tons of time spent, with no room to experiment.

any takers?

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

As it happens I've recently been thinking about the same thing for a Strat/Tele clone I'm going to start working on shortly. It was going to have a just slightly angled headstock (to avoid string trees while keeping the whole neck one piece) and this seemed like the way to go if I wanted a headstock adjustment, but in the end I decided to go with a straight headstock and a spoke wheel heel adjustment to make it easier to build (it's my first neck).

I did give it a lot of thought and I couldn't see any problem at all except that it will work opposite to the standard "turn clockwise to add backbow" of most necks. As long as you're keeping the bass or make it clear to the owner that he should warn anyone working on the bass about this feature, I'd say go for it. Oh, and I am a physics major ;) :D :p

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

The flat bar goes against the fret board. You want the rod to pull against the strings and you want the flat bar to push against the fret board. If you put it the other way the ends of the bar put the counter pressure on the ends of the neck pulling the flat bar away from the back of the neck and pushing the round bar against the fret board where there is a big gap. The two way description is a little misleading any neck that needs bending in the direction of the string pull is junk.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

In a truss rod installed in the usual way and compensating the string tension by adding backbow to the neck, the flat bar presses against the fretboard in the middle and the round bar presses away from the fretboard and against the back of the neck at both ends. In this alternative installation, the round bar presses against the fretboard in the middle and the flat bar presses against the back of the neck at both ends. There are in fact truss rods where both bars are round:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Hot_Rod_Truss_Rod/Hot_Rod_Truss_Rods.html

I really don't see any advantage or disadvantage in either way of operation.

5. Biz

Biz Guest

Thanks for kicking this around, but has anyone out there actually done this with good results.