$20 for new Celestion clones!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 4styx, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I'm coming in very late to this party. I have an Aiken 4X12 cab loaded with Weber Blue Dogs...great speakers, but not for the harder rock/metal sounds I'm going for.

These look like a great deal, even if I missed the $20 specials.

Which would you guys recommend for a Deep, tight base, scooped mids, high gain sounds?

I can only afford a pair right now, so they will be mixed with the Blue Dog 55hz models till I can afford a second pair of *something*

Suggestions?

2. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Wow, I just surprised myself. It's been a long while since I've played guitar, let alone peeked inside my amps and cabs.

I just found that I have a pair of Weber Blue Dogs, and a pair of Scumback SA-16-55 in my Aiken 4X12.

So I guess I'm looking for a good match for my Scumback speakers so my Blue Dogs can go back into my '62 Magnatone that I promised myself I'd service the caps on this winter. :)

Again, suggestions?

3. Roobubba

Roobubba Member

I'm guessing they aren't going to do a Celestion G12K-100 clone?

Roo

4. mextremist666

mextremist666 Member

a pair of the 50watt celestion golds clones would be killer.....

5. hogdad

hogdad Member

:RoCkIni put 4 v30 clones in a old carvin 4 12 cabinet, they sound great. a friend of mine put 4 v 30 clones in a new marshall cab. and they sound better than the celestion 75's. i got mine when they were 21.00 each. now they are more. i use a marshall dsl 2000,older marshall 4 plug's and a carvin mts 3200. my friend runs a dsl 2000 and a peavey 6505 and they sound great through his cabinet. and the person who turned me on to these, builds his own amp's and he use's these.. before i bought these speakers, i listened to, two different cabinets. a mesa w/2-celestion v 30's and a lopo line cab w/2 v30 clones. used the same head,, same guitar,,, through each cabinet. they sounded the same to me, but the celestion v30 had a little more bottom to it..but in all fairness. the celestion v30's are well broken in, and the the 30clones were new.. both cabinet's were open back cab's...
    i guess it is in what sound's good to ones ear...... i really like these speakers. and would buy them again. the quad cost me 109.00 delivered to my front door.....can't be better than that,,,to bring new life to a some what lifeless cabinet....later

6. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Got one of the new Greenback clones a couple days ago. Like the sound of it better than the V30 clone. Using it with a Ceriatone 18W TMB. Don't have a real greenback to compare it to, but it sounds a little less efficient than the V30 clone, which is good for the Ceriatone.

7. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

Everybody is saying great things about these speakers, however everyone says it in the context of the OLD prices.
    Now that 12 inchers cost about $60 including shipping it doesn't seem like any kind of bargain to me for noname clones.
    What do you all think?

8. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Well, IMO, these "noname clones" sound better & have held up well to the originals they're based on, so for me they ARE worth $60

9. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I hope they aren't any less of a great sound because the price went up...I just ordered a pair of the green backs on the 15th. I'm just waiting for them to show up!

10. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Truely though, who says they are based on any specific speaker other then the name...

Do we have charts and specs to back them up? Or are they just good sounding speakers?

11. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I disagree. I'd happily pay the new price...and still feel like it was a fantastic deal. I use the CL80 replacements, and I know that new Celestion CL80's are around $120 apiece. For the price of one new Celestion CL80, you can get a pair of the WGS BL80's...and this is at the new, higher price.

Still a great, great product for a great price.

(And NO, I have no affiliation with them. I'm just a very satisfied customer.)

Doc :)

12. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

ok, thats good too hear.
    thats exactly what I wanted to know is if every one raves cause they were so cheap, or that they are really that good.

13. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

hey lonely raven since you are just buying them now, how about being our impartial unbiased tester, and post your thoughts once you have them in hand.

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

I have both the Celestion CL80 and the WGS CL80 clone and I prefer the sound of the WSG. They are way more "3-D" sounding IMO.

15. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I always approach every new piece of gear with an open mind, so I'll do my best to give you my thoughts on them.

I will be up front and say I'm not much of a guitarist, and they are going into a high gain Peters, and mixed in with a pair of Scumback SA-55 speakers. I'll probably also try them by their lonsomes if I can dig up a 2X12, and try them in my Magnatone as well.

Not sure if that suits what you guys are lookin' for, but I'll chime in (pun intended) once they get here and I get some quality time with them.

16. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

For the current prices they're still a heck of a bargain. At the introductory price they were "stupid cheap" as I'd call it. :) If they cost $90 each I'd still buy them...but fortunately we don't have to. (I'm talking about the Veteran 30 in particular. I've also tried the British Lead, and although I think they perform exactly as they should I realized I'm more into the Vintage 30ish sound. I haven't tried the G12M-based speakers.)

The Veteran 30 have the response which I consider very fitting for lots of sounds, definitely including modern high gain. They're not scooped in of themselves, but that's less important than finding a speaker that sounds and responds the way you want (then you scoop out the mids on the amp...or at least that's the way I'd do it).

17. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

The quality is definitely there, even Ted Weber gave em a thumbs up and I'll take anything he sez regarding speakers as fact. As far as price goes, they are definitely worth the new price and a steal at the old price. However it is possible the price may fall back depending on sales. Getting a new business going is a tough endeavor and WGS has no real advertising; just Ebay and a website he wants you to find. I suspect most of the likely Ebay cruisers have already bought up what they need at the old prices. Just my humble opinion, the future will tell

18. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I just unboxed and installed my Green Beret pair.

My short and quick thoughts:

Very well built. Has the cardboard ring on the front for rear loading, and foam gasket on the rear for front loading. Fit and finish looks perfect. Everything about these speakers looks quality. Worth $20 Hell yes, worth $45 absolutely.

Tone. I don't have a pair of greenies to direct compair to. In fact, I've not had a pair in 15 years, so I was just judging these in my setup as speakers, not Greenbacks. That said...I think these need to be cranked to really give me good tone, and unfortunately I can't do that in my apartment. At the levels I play, they sound soft and fizzy and clearly inefficient compared to what I"m used to.

Keep in mind, I have a pair of Scumback SA-16-55 and Weber Blue Dogs in my 4X12, and I was hoping I could replace the Blue Dogs with these Green Beret speakers so I could return the Blue Dogs to my '62 Magnatone. So the gist is, the Blue Dogs and Scumbacks are just so good as the lower volumes I play, that these Green Berets just aren't the speakers for me.

To sum up, fit and finish gets top grades...but tone...just not right for me and my needs. I'll probably hold on to them and hope a good 2X12 cab comes along, and I'll match these Green Beret up with my Trainwreck "inspired" amp I'm going to be building in a week or two. At least that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

19. kanderson

kanderson Member

Interesting... I just got mine tonight and dropped them in a 2x12 cab and mine sound really nice and warm....even at low volumes IMHO. I'm using an 18watter with them and they really shine. I agree the build is top notch. I dont have any Greenbacks to A/B them either though.
    BTW: Are you using the Alnico Blue Dogs or the ceramic? The ceramics I had sounded like poo...but I've heard good things about the alnicos.

20. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

I got a pair of the Lead 80 clones second hand (not used) via the TGP, and they sound great with my AC-30 Lite clone. They're great, solid speakers, but if the prices rise too high, I'd rather have a speaker made to my specs by Weber...

The most attractive thing about them is the price.