• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

20 watt amp for exquisite classic rock tones?

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, I'm back on a tone quest. I'm interested in a 20 watt amp to get those sweet classic rock tones that have been in my head for years. My budget is around $1000 give or take. I currently have a DSL40 and an EVH 5150 III. Although these are amazing amps, they have a more compressed, modern tone to them. I'm looking for more AC/DC to early VHII types of tones. I'd be using it in my band to play small bar gigs. An effects loop would be necessary as well.

So far, I've been researching the Marshall SV20, Dirty Shirley Mini (a bit over my budget), and the Victory rd1. What else would you guys recommend?

Javaman75

When I saw your title I had a completely idea of classic rock tones. I was gonna suggest the JJ junior as I thought it excelled at my idea of classic rock (CCR, Zeppelin, Santana, etc). It might still be worth a look for AC/DC--VH? Killer little amp with a great great tone and loud and pretty thumping with a 4x12.

Liquid State

get a used Mesa 5:25 Express plus. They can be had for about a grand, let you attenuate between 5 and 25 watts, and cop classic rock in spades. 2 channels, 4 different break-up options, effects loop for time based effects (delay, phase, etc are kinda pre-req for classic rock)

woodymq

Silver Supporting Member
I think what you’re looking for is the Rivera Venus 5 head, but it would probably break the budget, unless you can get a killer deal in Reverb.

Those Victory amps are pretty sweet though. I’d love to get one.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
DRRI or 1974x or Retro King 18 or 2061x if you can crank em.
Otherwise there are a ton of master volume amps that'll do, like the Tiny Terror.

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
AC/DC to VH == Marshall to me, so I would look at the Big Bottle 20 watters from them SC20/SV20 or someone who gets some of that flavor in the boutiqu area, like the Friedman minis/runts or maybe the Bogner Atma Or Splawn Supersport or something.
I started with the SV20, then was lead down the Friedman Mini path. I'm not sure what path to continue on.

Trending Topics