• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

20 watt amp for exquisite classic rock tones?

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
I know the Mini Dirty Shirley is a bit out of your budget, but man it nails what you're looking for I think. Can you hold out and just wait a bit until you can get there price wise? I have one with the 1x12 cream back cab and it's so versatile. It can definitely hit the VH3 tones, with probably a little less responsiveness than say a JCM800, but there are so many amazing tones in there with the gain stage switch.
I was looking at the DS20, but a lot of people mentioned that it's probably too loose and bassy for what I'm looking for. Sucks that there's nowhere near me that carries the Friedman amps for me to try.

Jugghaid

Someone also recommended the Friedman JJ Jr. I was thinking it was specifically for high gain, but they said it would do VH II type tones great.
It's a great amp and more flexible than people think.

For what you are describing though, definitely check out a mini-jube if you haven't already.

ZMoney

I have a Chupacabra 50, which gets very saturated. I believe the Son of Yeti is pretty similar. I'm looking for a more classic rock tone, where the max gets me into a VHII-ish territory.
There is quite few amps that can do the modded Marshall tone like the Chupacabra and the classic rock tones you're looking for. Perhaps you could sell the Chupacabra and get a really nice amp that does everything you need.

The PWE Event Horizon 3 or maybe Event Horizon 2 comes to mind as being great at all of those things. You could find a used one in your budget if you sell your current amp.

There are many amps that do this like Friedman BE, Landry G3, Bogner Ecstacy, or maybe even a Mesa Triple Crown and more depending what you're looking for.

If you don't want to do that, Morris makes some great amps with classic Marshall tones that can be had affordably. I believe there is one on the emporium right now.

bigtone23

The SV20 is pretty much what you are asking for to a T.

Fender Bassbreaker 15. I love mine but you should try one first if you have the opportunity.
This amp in medium gain mode is really killer. Low gain mode hit with a treble boost is classic rocking, too. Kind of JTM, kind of Tweed. I really did it, and it has some great gigging features like the mute, cab emulated out, effects loop...
used Peavey Bravo.

modded JCM 800 for days.
This is true. That dirt channel is worth the price of admission. The clean channel is nice for pedals, too.
However, a Bravo (modded 800) is a little bit too gainy and compressed for early EVH and AC/DC tones. I never used the gain boost button and ran the gain really low on mine (around 2-3), and it still wouldn't quite punch and react like the lower gain Marshalls. I tried swapping a 12AX7 or two with 12AY7 or 12AU7 and it didn't get there, either. The Bravo does it's thing and punches way above it's weight class. Plugged into a bigger cab and it's even better.
I can get a good, punchy and usable AC/DC type tone with a 2203/2204/DSL50 in Green Crunch mode, though.

Barquentine

Thanks.
What is a Bravo?
I'm currently in the market for a new rig to use in clubs playing classic 80s hair metal. I need to get the tones from Van Halen 1 and Ratt out of the Cellar.
I had a Peavey Bravo 25w combo years ago. Long since discontinued. The clean channel was rather bland. The o/d side was very creamy and smooth - no bite and not at all Marshall like. It disappeared in a band mix. I don't think it would suit you at all.

cam0122

I had a Peavey Bravo 25w combo years ago. Long since discontinued. The clean channel was rather bland. The o/d side was very creamy and smooth - no bite and not at all Marshall like. It disappeared in a band mix. I don't think it would suit you at all.
Thanks.
I was almost ready to order a Suhr PT15 head with matching 212 cabinet. But the $3k price tag has slowed me down on that.
I'm now looking at either the Marshall DSL40CR combo or the EVH combos. I've read great reviews on both of these combos. The DSL40 is lighter than the EVH, and is significantly lower priced.

Do you have any thoughts on these combos, or any other good combo options for getting the 80s hair metal tones?

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
The SV20 is pretty much what you are asking for to a T.
This is the first amp that I started looking into, before I read that it has to be very loud to get there. I need something that can get down to home practice volumes also.

mrverks

Silver Supporting Member
I was looking at the DS20, but a lot of people mentioned that it's probably too loose and bassy for what I'm looking for. Sucks that there's nowhere near me that carries the Friedman amps for me to try.
I use a 2203 quite a bit and you are right in saying that the DS20 has a looser bottom end. I think this is (correct me if I'm wrong tech guys) due to it having a tube vs SS rectifier? I read this amp was loosely based on a 60's JTM45. The looseness is good in a lot of applications, but yeah if you want that EVH responsiveness, maybe one of the Studio Marshalls? SC20 or Mini Jub? I used a Mini Jub for a spell and it can nail any of what you're mentioning. I've got one (head) I'm looking to sell in primo condition if you're interested. It's a great and solid amp, I already had a full size 2203 so it was a little redundant and I went with the DS20 to cover more of the early 70's type ground, but yeah..

Barquentine

Thanks.
I was almost ready to order a Suhr PT15 head with matching 212 cabinet. But the $3k price tag has slowed me down on that.
I'm now looking at either the Marshall DSL40CR combo or the EVH combos. I've read great reviews on both of these combos. The DSL40 is lighter than the EVH, and is significantly lower priced.

Do you have any thoughts on these combos, or any other good combo options for getting the 80s hair metal tones?
I've never played the DSL combo or the EVH. I've played a few DSL heads and didn't like them at all. I would have thought that the EVH amps were tailor made for the tones you're looking for.

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
I've never played the DSL combo or the EVH. I've played a few DSL heads and didn't like them at all. I would have thought that the EVH amps were tailor made for the tones you're looking for.
The EVH is a great amp. But it's more modern and compressed. Great for that style, which I play a lot.

dacula789

Silver Supporting Member
The SV20 is perfect if you have a power station to go with it. The Amp 1 will do what you want and match the SV20 at home and gig volumes at a much lower cost.

juanffz

I keep looking at this. Can it get tight enough for early VH? The demos make it seem like it's much too full, with a loose bottom end.
Yes, it´s pretty full sounding, but nothing you can´t tame with a boost in front of the amp. The Friedman Golden Pearl gets quite a lot of praise for this purpose around here.

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
I use a 2203 quite a bit and you are right in saying that the DS20 has a looser bottom end. I think this is (correct me if I'm wrong tech guys) due to it having a tube vs SS rectifier? I read this amp was loosely based on a 60's JTM45. The looseness is good in a lot of applications, but yeah if you want that EVH responsiveness, maybe one of the Studio Marshalls? SC20 or Mini Jub? I used a Mini Jub for a spell and it can nail any of what you're mentioning. I've got one (head) I'm looking to sell in primo condition if you're interested. It's a great and solid amp, I already had a full size 2203 so it was a little redundant and I went with the DS20 to cover more of the early 70's type ground, but yeah..
The DS20 is missing the tube rectifier. At least that's what Friedman told me, so they recommended the JJ Jr.

cam0122

I
Thanks.
Regarding the EVH, I think you are correct. I'm just not quite sure whether the EVH 112 combo is that much more superior to the DSL40CR 112 combo, to justify the significantly higher price.

ledvedder

Silver Supporting Member
I

Thanks.
Regarding the EVH, I think you are correct. I'm just not quite sure whether the EVH 112 combo is that much more superior to the DSL40CR 112 combo, to justify the significantly higher price.
I have both the EVH 50 watt 6l6 head, and a DSL40c. The DSL was ok until I changed the speaker to a Veteran 30. Now it's a great amp.

The EVH is great for higher gain, compressed tones. 90s and up.

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with the sentiment that you want a Marshall or Marshall-inspired amp. My recommendations are...
- Splawn Supersport 22W w/ 6V6
- Ceriatone Son of Yeti
- Marshall DSL -- Yes I think your DSL40 should get you there. Use the green channel on Crunch mode (Gain at 1 o'clock, Volume as high as you can stand it, and all equalization knobs somewhere between 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock). Goose the amp with an OD pedal as needed. These are great sounding amps that can probably cover most of the ground that the SV and SC amps will do. I A/B'd an SC with my DSL40CV (Vintage 30 loaded); the DSL40 pretty much nailed the SC tones.

Trending Topics