$2000-$2500 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jodyb0429, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jodyb0429

jodyb0429 Member

Good evening everyone. I'm looking to move a couple of guitars and come up with about $2500 for a "keeper" awesome stratocaster. I've been looking at all the standard culprits. Want vintage spirited instrument, SSS configuration, like thicker necks. Looks like for $2500 can do new K-line, gently used Dano (if you can find one), new Mario Martin (which I'm very intrigued with), Ive also seen a couple of used Tuttle strats that hover in the $2500-2800 range. Riggio strats and couple of Grosh to be found in this price range as well. I'm in the middle of nowhere and have only handled/played fender and G&L. No boutique guitars for a million miles. My number one is a Rice telecaster that is freaking fantastic so am certainly open to the smaller builders. I know you can't tell me which guitar I would like best considering we are all individuals...Would you guys/gals be looking at one of the more expensive guitars thats used, one of the small volume builders, or just quit messing around and get a new K-line? Thanks for your time

2. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I'd consider the original- check out the Fender Mod Shop, see if the specs they're offering are what you're looking for.
    As for quality, I just got one a couple of months ago, and the build, playability, and finish are impeccable.
    I went with the Noiseless pickups, locking tuners, and modern trem, but you can pick more traditional options if you prefer.

[​IMG]

My NGD thread is here:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ngd-fender-mod-shop-strat.1970697/

Bonus: if you go this route, you'll save yourself some cash that you can then use towards an amp, or get yourself a few nice pedals :D

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I like Danos. Isn't a new one just a couple hundred above your budget? Put your name on the waiting list and spec exactly what you want. I'm sure you can scrounge up the extra $200 by the time yours is ready.

4. Robio

Robio Member

+1 for Grosh or Dano... Have a Grosh NOS. A Dano on the way... Don is a super guy to work with and builds a great guitar.
    Dont think you would be disappointed with any of the others you mentioned either. That's a tough one... Used is not a bad way to save a little $, but nothing quite having one built just for you.
    I'd look at Suhr as well.
    Rob...

superstratjunky likes this.
  5. Toosday

Toosday Member

Hard to imagine being happier than I am with my Suhr Classic Antique. Right in that range .

superstratjunky likes this.
  6. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The answer is clearly a Silver Sky. :D

Anyway, another vote for Grosh. If you're patient, you can find a great bargain on one. Hunt for a used Grosh, your money will go a long way. My ideal strat style, might be my best guitar.

7. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

How bout a 1954 Fender RI?

e??? likes this.
  8. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve This Space For Rent Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Suhr again.
    Once you experience their silent single-coil system, you won't play w/o it.

10. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

There are so many choices, and truthfully, S-type guitars aren't rocket science. Just a couple of pieces of wood bolted together.

Maybe you should decide on the specifics, and go to the best builder who can make it for you. If one fo your must-haves is a Fender logo ... you'll either need to buy a Fender or use a builder who will fab a faux-logo.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Are those still available?

12. slider

slider Member

^ Here you get into an ethical gray area, as the moderators here would tell you.

Steve_Blaine likes this.
  13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

$2,500.00 gets you a FCS and pending on spec, maybe a new one with a little haggling.

strike3 likes this.
  14. GhostBath

GhostBath Member

The two closest in the sub-3k range to vintage guitars that I've played wrt feel and tone are Danocaster and Xotic. I have not had a chance to play a Mario Martin and like you I am intrigued. I think every guitar you mentioned is awesome, maybe not so vintage feeling though. E.G. I think K-Line guitars are very nice and sound great and look good too but they feel a little more modern to me (not in a bad way). Tuttle felt great but also a bit more modern didn't sound quite right to me though (probably guitar specific). RYRA has actually made some really nice vintage feeling and sounding guitars too. But in the end, I'd recommend Xotic. I think their wood choices are top notch and I think for 2500 they are a screaming deal between the plek, roasted neck and high quality hardware. Also I think their finishes are good too. For me the lower price and couple of extra features (like an extremely flamed neck) make them win out over Dano for me personally though I recognize that resale on a Dano is better.

Obviously I like Fender Custom Shop guitars but my preference with them would put them above your stated budget. Also if I were personally ordering a Suhr it would not be a relic guitar; I prefer their modern takes.

badgerchemist likes this.
  15. Robio

Robio Member

Good call on the Xotic stuff. Funny, I was just having a look at them yesterday and didnt think to mention them. Put my hands on a couple at NAAM. Wouldn't mind having one as well...
    Check out Chris Duarte to have a listen

16. scotty31

scotty31 Member

the mod shop tool is so cool.
    Just played with this as an idea.

[​IMG]
    Been eyeing off an 89 Clapton in Pewter...but this has me tempted.

freedom's door likes this.
  17. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

There are NOS(?) 54RI’s on Reverb, like the 40th and 50th Anniversary models. There is mix of 7.25 and 9.5 radiused fretboards, and while many of the ads don’t give the exact neck thickness, most ‘54/55 I’ve seen have pretty fat necks (.088”+) and ‘54 Fender pups.

That’s a ‘54 CS Relic (.090”) in my avatar. Killer guitar, though I swapped the pups for Lollar Dirty Blondes.

There is also the 54 AVRI models.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  18. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Maybe look at Palir too. I recently tried a handful of Nash guitars and all left me underwhelmed. Also a handful of Fender Custom Shop and while I loved 1 of the 4 I picked up the other three where just okay. But there was a Palir Titan (tele style, but they make a Strat style too) that just felt phenomenal. The aging on it is way better than Nash from what I’ve seem, particularly the neck. The neck felt amazing and had a very uniquely aged look and feel to it that I thought was really nice. I’ve only played the one, but it left me impressed.

19. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Silver Supporting Member

For $2,500 you have tons of options. K-Lines are fantastic and have had several but they do not hold their value very well so I would say save yourself a ton of cash and buy one used. If you're set on spending $2,500 then you can definitely find yourself a good Fender CS tele. The market is saturated with them so finding one with the exact specs you're after shouldn't be hard. Mario Martins are great as well (I have owned three) but do not hold their value either. A little harder to come by than the ones mentioned above but can be found for a great deal used. LSL is another great brand to look into. Hope this helps!

20. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

Melancon and grosh are all great.
    Suhr too
    Guess it’s important to know what you want in your guitar ie neck specs pickups width etc.