2000 Les Paul Studio question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dtube, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    Hi all. I'm looking at 2000 Les Paul Studio for a friend. Being a Fender guy, I don't know a whole lot about Gibsons in general (but I did play an R0 a few weeks ago that I absolutely loved). What's the general consensus on Studios from this period? I can't play it - but the deal on it based on the picts is appealing (its in very good condition, dark green finish - owner wants $450). All opinions welcomed. Thanks!
    -Darren

2. MrMike

MrMike Member

Nice price. Some consider the Studios to be the ugly stepchild of the Les Paul line due to the absence of binding, the thinner maple cap and the fact that they're a bit "stripped down" when compared with the Standards, etc. Others, myself included, love them. I have a '91 in Wine Red that is really resonant and has a great neck. I'd be all over it at that price. I paid $700 for mine 3 years ago.

3. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

$450's a good price.
    I paid $525 for my '92 Wine Red Studio a few years ago and I thought I got a good price then.
    I did install a RS electronic upgrade kit which greatly improved the clarity of this guitar.

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

That's a great price, especially if it includes the hard shell case. I'd be hesitant buying any Gibson sight unseen. That being said if you decide you don't like it you can probably sell it on Ebay for a profit.

BTW, I have a 1995 Studio that is a fantastic guitar that I don't see myself ever selling.

5. dtube

dtube Member

It does include the Gibson hard-shell case. The owner describes the color as "transparant dark green" - it looks black in the pictures. Looks like the pickups have been replaced (I see Seymour Duncan logos on the bobbins) and the hardware is chrome. I've seen Studios from this period in transparant Wine Red - they all seem to have gold hardware. Any thoughts?
    -Darren

P.S. Thanks for the replies - much appreciated :BEER

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

If your friend loves the guitar its in good shape, $450 is a steal, he really should offer $500 just so he is not stealing the guy blind, just stealling.

7. hippiebob

hippiebob Member

its probably better that the pickups have been replaced. dont the studios come with ceramic pickups?

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i used to own a 94 Les Paul Studio and selling it was one of the biggest mistakes i ever made. it was kind of beat up, had a repaired headstock and seymour duncan pickups, but it played and sounded amazing. I was saving for a custom at the time but this guitar just sang and I forgot all about the custom. The studios can be hit or miss, but, so long as you shop with your ears instead of your wallet, you can find ones that are absolute gems. They are great "players" guitars.

10. dtube

dtube Member

Well, I bought it. I was thinking a bit earlier this evening and realized that: I've never owned a Gibson before :eek:. Fender stuff always hit me right - never felt the need to tinker with the formula. Perhaps the R0 I played a few weeks ago, or the amazing 335 I played last week, knocked a screw (and my wallet) loose :crazy. I'll post some pix when it arrives.
    -Darren

11. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

enjoy your new guitar, looking forward to the pictures

12. Custom50

Custom50 Member

you made the right choice.

13. bgood

bgood Member

had a 2001 Studio in Red. If that guitar is in good shape you can't go wrong on that deal. Mine had gold hdware and the 498/490 combo. It was a VERY nice guitar. I didn't get along with the neck and the scale length and could never seem to get the rhythm guitar tones I wanted out of it - a split neck PUP would have probably done it. For solos, it had it all - power sustain, clarity - I miss that. Nothing makes that sound like a Les Paul. But...out it went for a G&L Bluesboy but that was a nice guitar. Sounds like someone got a very good deal there.

14. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

My 1995 Studio is my go to guitar. Great sounding guitars and highly underrated.

I say go for it, just see if he can email you pics of the back of the headstock to make sure there were no repairs done. I've seen more than a few cracked headstocks on pauls due to the angle of the headstock.

Scott