$2000 on a amp? Your opinions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chrispatel, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

I have a budget of $2000.00 for a new amp. I play with a Gibson Les Paul Antique Classic (57' pickups). Mainly play in the house and can get it cranked when the house is all mine (which isn't the majority of time).

Looking for you opinions. I mainly play Brit Rock stuff. think Oasis, Placebo, Stereophonics... Also will play the occasional Greenday, Connells, and randomn cleanstuff. I am all over the board.

Let me now what you all think are good options. I was thinking Bad Cat or matchless. I can get a Wildcat 2x12 combo from a frined but it may be too loud for my set-up

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

$2000 will buy a lot of amps, i don't think it will get a matchless or a bad cat, unless you know of used ones.

personally I would buy a Mesa Mark V which is coming out soon, I have a Mark IV and with 6v6 tubes it has incredible tone, better than the badcats I have played to be honest, though I might be prejudiced Mark owners are bad that way, it wont get the marshall tone, for that I have a marshall DSL401 which gets me really nice marshall tone, the Mark IV with 6v6 sounds better than my old vibralux so I sold that amp which I had kept for its tone, and got a Hot Rod Deluxe Texas Red edition just to have a nice amp to play.

The Mark IV with 6v6 tubes make the Mesa a 50 watt amp, and the real power is probably lower since the amp is played in the tweed mode which gets around 40 watts, the amp is very controlable volume wise, the Mark IV is extremely versital, and can be set up to get just about any tone, the marshall tone has still eluded me, it will take EL-34 but the tone is like a Mesa Stilletto, not a marshall tone.

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

what amps do you have?

Jordan

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

you've got to narrow it down to single channel vs. channel switcher, and how much you want to rely on pedals for your OD tones.

For a channel switcher, probably a used Bogner. For single channel, you could do worse than a used Bruno Underground 30.

5. chrispatel

I currently do not have an amp so I am looking for flexibility and probably a channel switcher. I had a 15 watt Bad Cat Hot cat once and loved it. I few friends have recommended Bogners though.

6. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Vox AC 30cc...may need a good boost/overdrive pedal
    Orange AD 30 TC...little gnarlier than ^,may not need pedal (channel switching amp)
    Orange RV 50...channel sw.and more juice(overdrive) than you'll ever need
    Fender Bassman RI...probably will need OD pedals

there's just a few to think about~

EDIT-Houseplayer only? All of the above have little brothers such as the Orange TT,AC 15,Blues Jr. too etc for well under your budget!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

My circumstance was much the same as yours, and I went with an Egnater Mod50. I've had it for six months and am still absolutely thrilled with it. I play in three bands - one light alternative rock, one moderate rock similar to the Oasis type stuff you're talking about, and one very modern P&W where we do Nickelback and Flyleaf covers in addition to the P&W stuff. The genius of the amp is the modular design. The Vox module works really well for the Brit rock type stuff. Add in an SL2 or Modern Hi Gain module, and you have a 4-channel amp that will cover ALL the musical territory you mentioned, and do it really well.

If your musical tastes change, there are a huge array of modules that will give you any amp sound imaginable. There is no more versatile amp out there.

I considered a used Bogner as well. They're great amps. If you search TGP on both amps, you'll find quite a number of people who like the Mod50 at least as much as the Shiva or Ecstacy, and you can pick up a new Mod50 for as much or less than a used Bogner.

8. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

If you like Bogners you would like the Duende.

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I haven't seen anything regarding a Mesa Mark V.
    WHat I'd look for is a boutique amp on the used market. Outside of a few, (Matchless etc.) there's a good chance you can get a 3g amp for under 2g.
    I'd go for a Reinhardt 18 watt, and a couple of nice pedals.

10. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Buy something you can return for full value if you don't like it. $2K is a lot of $$ for an amp, especially a smaller combo.

11. meterman

meterman Member

If you're looking at BadCat and Matchless but only have $2000 or less I would seriously consider a TopHat. Bulletproof build, great great tones and quality for relatively low bucks considering the cost of many other boutiques, and an unbelievable value on the used market. Depending on volume needs a Club Royale, Club Deluxe or Super Deluxe would fit that budget with the Supreme16 and Vanderbilt33 heads being slightly more. If you want a big gun check out the King Royale I would put it up against any AC30-based amp on the market, or the Emplexador if you're looking at a Marshall style head....

12. magnus02

magnus02 Member

i'd check out a goodsell mark II or mark III if i were you. great clean to slight break up that would work great for what you describe. definite british vibe to it. just somethin else to throw out there...

13. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

You can definitely get great Bad cats and Matchless for less than $2000!

This forum is great place to find used Matchless and Bad Cat amps. Eligible Matchless include:

HC30 heads
    Phoenix
    Clubman heads
    Chieftain heads
    Lightning

Eligible Bad Cat include
    Hot Cat 30
    Hot Cat 30R
    Black Cat
    Cub
    Cub II
    etc.

Volume on the Matchless may be an issue more than with the Bad Cat if you don't get much time alone. The Hot Cat 30 is a good amp.

I get a lot of time alone with my gear and I sold my Matchless HC30 and my Phoenix because they were too loud even when I was alone! Sold both and my Hot Cat 30 for less than $2000.

14. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Whatever you choose, at least try to try the amp before you buy!

15. wbm68

wbm68 Member

For home use the clear choice in that price range would be a used Marshall full stack. Preferably the 200 Watt version.
    :AOK

16. chrispatel

You mentioned that you sold your amps? What lower wattage amp did you replace it with?

Chris

17. Tone Disciple

Not lower wattage - Two Rocks.

Two Rocks at 50 watts - class A/B are able to get great tones at lower volumes as well as really rock out at loud volume when you want them to.

I really liked the tone of my Matchless amps, but they were just too loud when you got them set at their sweet spot.

The Bad Cat was not bad, but I traded it for a Two Rock Custom Reverb by adding some cash (basically got $1800 out of my Hot Cat) and have been a Two Rock fan ever since. I did try the Komet Constellation which I also loved the tone of, but found it too loud also.

One other amp I would recommend in the under $2000 category is the Roccaforte Rocky 30 (the 18 watt version might be nice too).

Like others here have suggested, you may have to buy to try many of these amps, but by purchasing them used you should be able to get your money back out of them if you don't like what you find.

18. chrispatel

I just tried a Mesa Stiletto Ace combo at my local shop. Wasn't looking to try one out but what the heck it was there. Man, what a great amp! I beleive it is 50 watts a/b and I could really get a bunch of sounds out of it.

I never really tried Mesa's but wow! Anyone else tried one of these? I know they aren't as sexy as the boutique manufacturers but they sound great, to my ears.

Chris

19. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

The Orange Rockerverb 50 gets you where you are going and has a killer master volume capable of home practice or full on gig-dom.

20. Tone Disciple

Chris

You can get great sounds out of a Stiletto! I have not owned one, but I have played through several. I always like them.